• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photo comparison: Original RW 17756 B-3 vs. GW

Nickb123

Hi guys,

Thought I’d have some fun comparing @Jorgeenriqueaguilera’s original B-3 with a GW repro of the same contract. The details are very close, but obviously the shell colors differ.

IMG_7250.jpeg

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7264.jpeg

IMG_7269.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7255.jpeg

IMG_7271.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

Dany McDonald

One thing I like on originals is the imprecise or out of alignment details here and there. The craftmanship is not judged here, those details are just a glimpse of the manufacturing process, industrial.

Both of these jackets are amazing. John Chapman is a true artisan excelling in his reproductions.

Thank you Nick for comparing, its fun.

Dany

Nickb123

You’ll note the slightly different styled hanger loops ;)

And the “Regular” in the original example on the size tag. Though my hunch is originals had a variance of labels with the “Regular” and without.

The fleece looks to be a bit different too. But it’s an insane copy.

warguy

Dany nailed it. I was just getting ready to post the exact same thing when i read his comments. The GW jacket is an outstanding repro, but it is the “industrial” sloppiness if you will, of the originals that always reminds me these were made en mass, to meet contract deadlines and get them out to the troops. I bought an original B3 in similar condition to Jorge’s last year (a Werber 1942 contract) and the manufacturer had done a very small repair to the hide on the back. It looks like a facial suture it is that precise and no doubt done by the original contractor. Again just evidence that these were utilitarian, and not made to please a consumer dropping $1500.00. This was a cool comparison. Thanks!

B-Man2

It seems that perfection has its detractors in this hobby. We’ve discussed it a number of times . The wonkyness of wartime originals Vs the perfect reproductions of those same jackets. If you plop down $1400 or $1500 most guys want a perfect repro… while some want a little misalignment of a pocket flap or a pocket just like a war time production jacket. It’s a funny bunch we are
I’ve found myself going in both directions from repro to repro. :)

Dany McDonald

while some want a little misalignment of a pocket flap or a pocket just like a war time production jacket

Quite true for me, I'd even add that my Aero was made by an apprentice and I still like it a lot. It was even made with lower grade horsehide and it shows in a way I appreciate, and I'd do it again!

I bought an original B3 in similar condition to Jorge’s last year (a Werber 1942 contract) and the manufacturer had done a very small repair to the hide on the back. It looks like a facial suture it is that precise and no doubt done by the original contractor

I love scars and fixes especially on leather jackets or bags. Repairs on jeans gets my attention too. When its well made and integrated and the craftmanship transpires I feel it adds uniqueness to the garment.

John absolutely can give it that wonky, industrial sloppiness if you want him to.

That I'd like to see.

mulceber

Fun details, I especially like the label, it also looks a bit misaligned.
Honestly just the other day I was looking at the RMC M-444 I picked up, and the thing that struck me, is that my GWs look like a slightly dressed-up version of WW2 stitching. They look like they were sewn by a human being, but a human being that knows what they're doing. The RMC's stitching looks *perfect*. Could have been sewn by a robot (i.e. not what originals look like). This is the New Zealand branch of the company, so I don't think it's that Japanese perfection that Jeff has commented on, but the stitching was very different from what John does.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Yeah I understand what you mean, and ''counting stitches'' is something I really like about this hobby. Though I consider myself a newbie and know nothing, I can enjoy comparing originals and repros when possible. Because GW is a one man show, he reproduces what he sees and what he likes. RM-Few-BR etc are industrialist with a production chain, not quite too far from the original manufacturers in some way. It would be very optimistic to ask RM for a slightly misplace pocket unless its marketed and pitched as a new trend. They do go for the odd and unique feature sometimes, like the UV faded pink Albert Turner MA-1 or multi olive shade panels Sigmund Eisner N-3 parka. Speaking of Nylon jackets, all my originals have many imperfections, the bottom top is Rolen Sportswear, so off its almost funny sometimes. Personally I am captivated with the Japanese vintage culture and its ramification into the fashion/garment market. I see it as manga dress-up for the hipsters.

Again, we can conclude that John Chapman is in his own league!

D

mulceber

Do you mean perfect like made with a modern machine versus GW using an older sewing machine emulating the 30's and 40's style?

Yeah, perfect as in made with a modern machine, whereas GW's looks like the originals do. The RMC way is nice and precise, and I get why they do it - if they were to introduce any sort of wonky stitching, most of their customers would flip out and demand a refund. It's kind of ironic because, when it comes to denim, the Japanese are all about wonky weaving. But they won't get behind wonky stitching.

Being a one-man operation, though, John can actually make jackets that cater to people who know what the originals were like. I'll take his way over RMC's any day.