• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry Sportswear 23377

jschare

Here is my new acquisition that I purchased from Victor as it was a little small for him. It's a Perry 23377 in a nice goat skin. There is significant damage to the wrist knits and some mothing to the waist knits but, I would say, still wearable. There is also some dark stains on the leather of both wrists. Victor believes it may be engine oil. There is a name written on the lining that looks like it says "Lt Arning". I found this info through a Google search. I'm not sure if this was the owner.

1st Lt U.S. Army Air Corps, World War II- 1st Lt Eugene Arning was killed in action over Avord airfield, France on April 28, 1944 while serving as a Bombardier on the B-17G bomber "Georgia Rebel II" with the 535th Bomb Squadron of the 381st Bomb Group (Heavy), flying out of Ridgewell, England with the 8th Air Force.

jschare

MISSION 101 -- April 28, 1944. St. Averd, France.
The following combat crew is Missing in Action:

535th Squadron
1st Lt. Henslin, Harold F.
Major Jones, Osce V. P (POW)
2nd Lt. Guertin, Arthur L.
1st Lt. Arning, Eugene (NMI)
T/Sgt. Padgett, J. W. (POW)
T/Sgt. Karr, Jo R.
S/Sgt. Williams, Clarence T.
S/Sgt. McLaughlin, George B.
Sgt. Blackmon, William B. Jr. (POW)
S/Sgt. Sell, Edward H.

Name
Eugene Arning
From
Texas
Service Number
O-678516
Rank
Eugene Arning
First Lieutenant, U.S. Army Air Forces
535th Bomber Squadron, 381st Bomber Group, Heavy
Entered the Service From: Texas
Service #: O-678516
Date of Birth: June 13, 1923
Date of Death: April 28, 1944
Wars or Conflicts:
World War II
Buried:
Plot A Row 7 Grave 11

First Lieutenant
Service
U.S. Army Air Forces
Regiment
535th Bomber Squadron, 381st Bomber Group, Heavy
War
World War II
Date Death
04-28-1944
Awards
Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart
Burial
Plot A Row 7 Grave 11, Rhone American Cemetery, Draguignan, France
Cemetery Details
Rhone, France

jschare

The fist pic is the B-17 Arning was on went it went down. Records say it was taken down by flak. The aircraft is the one on the left, tail #238061. The second pic purportedly shows it going down.

dujardin

great jacket you have there

with history about the owner, plane, mission, photos

thanks for sharing

PADDY_M

That research really personalized the whole thing. A young man cut in the prime of life. The photo of the wingless plane is sobering and heart breaking ...

NW Carver

Agree 100% Paddy - very sobering...

I have been checking the B/W picture looking at the A2 collar in particular and trying to match that against the colour pics of the jacket - if you look closely, the collars are almost identical with regards to wear/leather folds...could the jacket in the B/W picture be the same one?

Great jacket - and a way to remember a young man that made the ultimate sacrifice

jschare

littlebuddy said:
Im wondering if this jacket and my jacket ever sat next to each other in a briefing or chow hall ???
Carl

Or if they'd ever made little baby jackets together... :shock:

mulceber

It's fascinating to learn about the history behind your acquisition. The Perry 23377 jacket you purchased has a unique backstory with Lt Eugene Arning's connection to World War II. While focusing on this historical piece, don't forget to explore options for baby jackets to ensure your little one's comfort and safety during your boating trips. Enjoy both your vintage find and quality time with your baby on the water!
SPAM-can.jpg