• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PERRY A-2 flight jacket w/CBI & ATC patches

A

Anonymous

Couple of the camels are turned round that signifies mission aborted ,the AFTC patch is not standard re the red and blue segments on the outer diameter .This signifies ATC in morse code .- the dash being the larger segment and the different colors used to break up the letters .I not saying this one is fake or wrong just pointing out it is a variation I have never seen .

All the best Jeff

watchmanjimg

I was under the impression that JCS liquidated his nylon collection to help fund some leather. I hope he hasn't fallen on hard times.

Roughwear

Leadsky said:
Roughwear said:
Great looking Star Sportswear jacket. Another small sized on though!

Chief Inspector Imp is right on JCS's case as well.

IMP? Do you mean Jacket Imp, who seems to have stopped posting here? I guess you do as he asked JCS a question putting him straight on the manufacturer.

Dr H

Roughwear said:
Leadsky said:
Roughwear said:
Great looking Star Sportswear jacket. Another small sized on though!

Chief Inspector Imp is right on JCS's case as well.

IMP? Do you mean Jacket Imp, who seems to have stopped posting here? I guess you do as he asked JCS a question putting him straight on the manufacturer.

Yes, sadly not posting or viewing any longer...

Dr H

Vcruiser said:
Sadly..................................... :?: :?: :?

Undoubtedly he's an acquired taste Van (no argument there), but I'm on a similar wavelength on occasions for good or ill... :roll:

Andrew

Hmmmm. Just been studying the closeups provided, the wear marks are very strange in that paint has flaked selectively and completely off almost each of the Camels in an even distribution (ie one scrape per item) to reveal the leather, and i've only ever seen similar on others he's sold. It appears like the paint has been selectively scratched off as opposed to worn down. Normal wear generally removes the paint gradually and more in some parts than others, however I appreciate that as it's thick paint it could flake off.

It looks original and he is a major collector but it still makes me wonder as it just looks strange. Anyone know where he ammassed his collection from?

asiamiles

Leadsky said:
Hmmmm. Just been studying the closeups provided, the wear marks are very strange in that paint has flaked selectively and completely off almost each of the Camels in an even distribution (ie one scrape per item) to reveal the leather, and i've only ever seen similar on others he's sold. It appears like the paint has been selectively scratched off as opposed to worn down. Normal wear generally removes the paint gradually and more in some parts than others, however I appreciate that as it's thick paint it could flake off.

Almost looks at if the jacket was laid down and bits of the paint stuck and peeled off when it was picked up...but it's just guess work. The camels would have been painted after the fact, in one go, rather than one at a time over a period of months?

TankBuster

Leadsky said:

It looks original and he is a major collector but it still makes me wonder as it just looks strange. Anyone know where he ammassed his collection from?

I have to agree. Not very natural wear. Appears like it was sandpapered? I have never seen this kind of wear on original artwork and I've seen alot of them. I can understand this type of wear on one or two jackets, but the number that I've seen sold makes me wonder.

Andrew

TankBuster said:
I have to agree. Not very natural wear. Appears like it was sandpapered? I have never seen this kind of wear on original artwork and I've seen alot of them. I can understand this type of wear on one or two jackets, but the number that I've seen sold makes me wonder.

I'll have to dig through my files- I may have saved a shot of another one somewhere...

Andrew

Finally found the pictures.

It's just my opinion, i'm certainly no expert in painted jackets as i've only owned two painted originals but i'm going to step out on a limb and suggest that this and some other jackets sold and currently being sold sport very good faked artwork. The basis for my suspicion is the similarity between the aged artwork on 4 recent sales.

The seller is a very respected collector and undoubtably has an amazing collection but I just don't believe all these jackets are the real deal. Maybe he's unaware or believes they are fine, or perhaps he bought them in good faith but now has suspicions so that's why he's been selling them recently.

If you look at this jacket which ended up fetching $3.5k and the shots of others he's sold the similarity between the aging of the artwork is just too great to be a coincidence. Especially as previously discussed it's not the normal wear you would see to paintwork, yet on at least 4 jackets sold by him the weathering patterns- rather sanded appearance are almost exactly the same.

Before i'm attacked as a heretic, this isn't just my opinion either, several others have also privately expressed their similar opinions.

Take a look at all these pics- I think they speak for themselves. If these are indeed being faked then a lot of guys are shelling out big $$ for a nice vintage jacket worth a third of the price.

I'd love to be proven wrong as it would be very sad if it were true.

Current auction- check out the sanded appearance also removing the leather dye only where the bombs appear to be and the similarity to the previous auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0443341022
A-2_jacs_053_1.jpg

Previously sold jackets
Jacket No1- the one just sold- interesting that you can't go back now and check out the pics as they've been removed...

CBI_Perry_Sptswear_004_1.jpg

CBI_Perry_Sptswear_008_1.jpg

Jacket No2. Now you could easily get the artwork on this one and the one above mixed up they are so similar.

JCS2.jpg

JCS3.jpg

Jacket No3. Same scraping of the paint

DSC01792.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

Anyone else feel the same way about this?

TankBuster

Andrew, I have to agree with you.
These 4 jackets shown, and some previous ones I had seen
got me wondering as well. There's no doubt of the
similarity of the aging technique on all 4 jackets shown.
I will go out on a limb here and say that they have all
been played with in some way or another.
I just haven't seen this type of wear on a jacket before.
Then taking into account there is more than one???
I also know JC well, and hope there is some explanation.
I'm curious to hear opinions from other guys here. I know
that I was questioned by a couple other collectors privately
about this same issue. It should make for a interesting topic!