• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Period A2 with suspicious details thoughts welcome

Runrow

This looks too good to be true. Painting is so pristine and name patch looks new to me and if you enlarge you will see hole indicating there were other patches prior. Smells like someone upping the value with later additions. Opinions welcome. Also can’t find record of that name matching that squadron on any 35 mission 17. Love to be wrong but hate owing inauthentic pieces. Photos here:

Attachments

• IMG_6384.jpeg
    IMG_6384.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6381.jpeg
    IMG_6381.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6382.jpeg
    IMG_6382.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6383.jpeg
    IMG_6383.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 125

B-Man2

Having holes from previous unit patches is a normal find on these jackets . As pilots moved from one unit to another patches were removed and new patches sewn on. So that really wouldn’t bother me.
The name tag looks too clean and new to be as old as the number of missions painted on the jacket indicate. Same with the unit patch. It’s hard to tell about the paint work without actually having the jacket in hand .

Dumpster D

Not familiar but does the 'lettering' font on the nametag correspond to anything from an original?

the label on my Original HLB Jacket kinda looks like it's more of a finer 'serif' font.

I could be wrong and there could be all kinds of lettering sets from back then.

The modern name labels I've seen don't have that generally from the limited experience of what I've seen.

It just looks pretty fresh to my eye, but Whooo knowsssss.

Silver Surfer

Can’t say conclusively without having it in hand. The bugs patch is a decal patch. Some decal patches were made and used in wwll, and some have been made since, right up till now. Uv (black light), lead, and burn testing would go a long way to determine originality.

B-Man2

This looks too good to be true. Painting is so pristine and name patch looks new to me and if you enlarge you will see hole indicating there were other patches prior. Smells like someone upping the value with later additions. Opinions welcome. Also can’t find record of that name matching that squadron on any 35 mission 17. Love to be wrong but hate owing inauthentic pieces. Photos here:
What’s the sellers’ price for the jacket ?

Yardstick

The only original version of this particular 548th BS design that I have seen are silk-screen on canvas. I can't see enough detail to tell if this one is a canvas patch though. If it's decal on leather, then the decal is replicating a silk-screen effect which would be a red flag to me. The give away that it's silk-screen is the colour 'bleed' - in silk screening multiple printing 'passes' are made with a different colour used in each pass. The screen that the ink is forced through rarely aligns exactly on each pass, hence the minor inconsistencies from patch to patch. If it is silk screened then that is virtually impossible to replicate by hand (I can do a passable job but still easy to spot if you know what you are looking for). I've not seen any replicas out there that even come close to the genuine effect. The below are two very good examples of 548th BS originals that have never been attached to jackets.

Interesting thing that I have noticed is the 'copyright L.S.' mark on both patches. I've checked images of other similar patches that I have and while these are missing on some patches, generally those have more wear than the below and the patch on the jacket in question. Not definitive but an interesting observation.

548th BS_385th BG (6).jpg

548th BS_385th BG (7).jpg

Micawber

The only original version of this particular 548th BS design that I have seen are silk-screen on canvas. I can't see enough detail to tell if this one is a canvas patch though. If it's decal on leather, then the decal is replicating a silk-screen effect which would be a red flag to me. The give away that it's silk-screen is the colour 'bleed' - in silk screening multiple printing 'passes' are made with a different colour used in each pass. The screen that the ink is forced through rarely aligns exactly on each pass, hence the minor inconsistencies from patch to patch. If it is silk screened then that is virtually impossible to replicate by hand (I can do a passable job but still easy to spot if you know what you are looking for). I've not seen any replicas out there that even come close to the genuine effect. The below are two very good examples of 548th BS originals that have never been attached to jackets.

Interesting thing that I have noticed is the 'copyright L.S.' mark on both patches. I've checked images of other similar patches that I have and while these are missing on some patches, generally those have more wear than the below and the patch on the jacket in question. Not definitive but an interesting observation.

View attachment 142703

View attachment 142707

Excellent. I see the copyright symbol but any idea who / what the L.S. was / stood for?

Abyss

That's a great patch and thank you for the information about it, Yardstick. I'm usually not a big fan of patches on jackets, but I would consider making an exception for that one.