• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PC offline again..............

EMBLEMHUNTER

I usually check here most of the time , so I thoght I also post this note here, a dam PC bug got my computer "again, freakin poeple got nothing else better to do tham give people grief , anyway using Library PC to post this and will be offline for a few days , later...................
Johnny

PaulGT3

Johnny,
I ha ve been an electronic engineer for longer than I care to admit. In the old days, when I got funded to
do a project, I usually had to build my own PC. This was in the late 80's early 90s before Grandma was connected
to the internet and you had to know how to use a FTP site and before everyone knew what HyperText Transfer Protocol
meant. I would run down to the computer store and buy the power supply the mother board , the CPU , the RAM, the
Drives, the case the operating system and I would put it together. Prolly did that 30 times. So when we needed one for
home I did the same thing, got on the net went to New Egg and bought all the stuff and it was when we first had DSL,
I think. At work we were behind a hardware and software firewall, so I never got hammered. Well I build that first one
for my house, and my plan was to build it which I did, install the operating system which I did, then put on Norton.
Well somewhere between installing the OS (Windows 42 or what ever) and getting the virus protection on, my brand
new machine got hammered by some virus. Took me HOURS to get it off and the system up and cleaned up and running
right again. I always stayed away from Apple because it was a closed architecture and you couldnt modify the OS. So
for me designing interface boards that plugged into the motherboard itself, that just wouldnt do. So I stayed away.
Some guys started using MacII (boy talk about dating myself, which just makes me beside myself when I do that)
and Labview but Labview is very expensive.
In 2005 I started doing the video for my sons football team (that won the SoCal Southern Section title by the way) and
the video software for the PC was horrendous to use. Not to mention I kept getting viruses. So in 2006, I bought a MacBook
just for video and surfing. Well the nights staying up till 5 AM editing video for my sons football team were OVER (I had to
get the DVDs ready for Sat morning video study), it took minutes to do what it took hours on my PC. Finally, after years
the screen started to go on the Apple so I bought a Apple Mac bookPro. (the first macbook still works) Then I bought a
Mac Pro desktop with 8 cores, and then macbook Air for the wife, and now a Macbook pro with retina display for me.
Since then all the photo work is flawless, I havent had to relaod the operating system EVER. I have never had to deal with
the BLUE screen of Death. They are easy to use and over time cost effective. AND on top of that, since they are all INTEL
MACS I can intall a VIRTUAL PC on my desktop to program my flying machines and my CNC machine. I also bought a less
expensive PC desktop to run my CNC machine so I dont endanger my MacBook Pro out in the shop. These machines are
BETTER PC's than DEDICATED PC"S are. No glitches no nothing. I have had to reinstall the Windows 7 on the desktop and
the laptop I bought for another purpose THREE times.
So my point is if you can get one, get a MAC so you dont keep getting hammered on your PC. Even ifs an old one.
for email, surfing pictures and such the mac will save you alot of headaches.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Thanks for teh info about the Mac's , I got my PC back today and all's fine, $159.00 lighter in the wallet but it's fixed.

I would like to switch over but I really don't know squat about them or where to get one at a good price etc , will keep it in mind .

Hopefully I'll be O.K. for awhile , anyway glad to be back up and online again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johnny

Skip

Hope it lasts a good while for you Johny.

Agree with you Paul, at the moment macs are the way to go, there an artists dream come true. And the prices have reallly dropped since I changed over about 7 years ago.

a2jacketpatches

As of today, mt Dell 560 Isnspiron froze up with just a black screen and mouse pointer after a start up repair recommendation. Dead in the water now.

Skip

:shock: doesn't sound good... All data can be retrieved it just depends how much it means to you and how much you want to pay.

my very last pc, which drove me to cross the fence to apple, the hard disk went kaput, I actually heard it grate to a stop. I lost all my photos, and it took the best of a year to rescan them all, just as well it was film back then. Now I have 2 external drives connected for backups, and also backup to dvd, a bit paranoid ? You bet! I don't want to go through that again.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Yeah , PC's are like women , can't live with em, can't live without em :D
And just about as much , or sometimes more trouble/expense .................................. :lol:

a2jacketpatches

Well, the HD was on the way out and was gonna cost 200- to fix. Two days ago when the trouble started I renewed my subscription with Norton 360 as I only had four days left. So luckily the Norton was able to back everything up before it froze again. Anyway, went to Staples today with a 75- off coupon and picked up a PC for 296- Has Windows 8 and will work fine for business.

The whole thing just slowed me down for a day, otherwise I think of this stuff as throw away tools that will basically cost me a dollar a day for life. Threw away a one year old printer in December and the PC was 13 months old. I lost over 3000 pictures previous to this last PC because of a virus and learned my lesson. They're still buried in the hard drive I saved so I'll have a tech retrieve them some day. I will put everything on a cheap memory stick from now on at least every quarter.

EMBLEMHUNTER

You ought to do what I do , when I find a great photo/s/scans on a site I just take out the ole 35 mm camera and take a "photo" that way I have it and a negative , no worries about losing them ..............................
Jmo.......................
I originally got into "cyberspace" with a new HP , over $700.00 all said/done, the piece of crap was made originally with a bad mother board, goes out (convienienlty just after the warranty) and "HP" "Claimed" to have sent me a "notice" about it , Yeah right !!!!!!!!!!
never got or saw a "notice" etc or didly from them , so that one was a real big rip off to say the least .............................

It cost me $159.00 to get my dell going again, and as long as it keeps going I'll stick with it for now , it was just a stupid pop up download that got my PC , nothing serious it just locked me out , now all's O.K. ........................