• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pawn Stars A-2

Stony

Just watched the new Pawn Stars and some guy brought in an A-2 with a P-38 squadron patch on it with a painted P-38 on the back. With it were a tan crusher and a survival flask. All items were in pretty good condition, although the A-2 had a hole in the shoulder from hanging on a hanger and the crusher had some moth holes. They offered him $750 for the group, but I think it's worth a bit more. The expert said it was worth $1,500 and it might bring that. The seller said he was going to bring back other items like paperwork that went with the group to see if he could get more money for the group. We'll see if it shows up again in a future episode.

Weasel_Loader

I was wondering when something like that would walk into the store. I'll have to look out for that episode. A friend at work went to Vegas not long ago and there was a line to get into that store. I'm sure the show boosted their business pretty good. ;)

I'm watching the episode now. ( I recorded it earlier tonight.)

I knew there would already be a thread here about it...and sure enough, there is. :D

arclight

I've watched a number of the episodes and it never ceases to amaze me why people would bring in old but serviceable firearms and other really great examples of early Americana to a pawn shop to sell. I saw the A-2 episode last night; the grouping belonged to the guys Dad and he wants to sell it! Good grief! Also, couldn't believe Rick has to consult someone about P-38s in Italy.

All the local pawn shops here have run of the mill items in average to poor condition. I guess some of the Las Vegas Pawn Stars clientele are looking for their 5 minutes of fame in front of the camera.

arclight out

Atticus

arclight said:
I've watched a number of the episodes and it never ceases to amaze me why people would bring in old but serviceable firearms and other really great examples of early Americana to a pawn shop to sell. I saw the A-2 episode last night; the grouping belonged to the guys Dad and he wants to sell it! Good grief! Also, couldn't believe Rick has to consult someone about P-38s in Italy.
All the local pawn shops here have run of the mill items in average to poor condition. I guess some of the Las Vegas Pawn Stars clientele are looking for their 5 minutes of fame in front of the camera.

arclight out

I'm a big fan of the show, but I'm guessing that much of it is staged. Mr. Owner brings his unique whatever into the shop. The whatever is appraised by Rick's "buddy" who knows all about whatevers. Rick offers Mr. Owner less than half the appraised value, explaining that pawnbrokers need to make a profit, too. Then, more often than not, Mr. Owner smiles and takes the deal. I just can't help but believe that Mr. Owner is otherwise compensated. Sorta like the litigants in the Judge Whoever shows where everybody is handsomely compensated to come to "court" and air their dirty laundry.

As a side note, as much as I like Pawn Stars, I'm afraid that my experience with pawn shops is much less glamorous than what's depicted in the show. Over the years, I've come to believe that pawn shops in my area are one third of a "Terrible Trifecta". Our drug dealers sell illegal drugs to drug users who steal whatevers from honest citizens and sell the stolen whatevers to pawn shops.

AF

derleicaman

I would agree that most of what appears on the show is pure entertainment. For example, how many people come into the shop on the show and want to sell items instead of pawning. Virtually none, whereas most pawn shops actually pawn and seldom buy outright. The other aspect of the show that is unrealistic is the consultation with an "expert" in front of the owner of the item they are selling. When I was in the retail camera business, if I didn't know what a trade-in was worth, I would consult my "experts" (other dealers) privately to come up with a value. I would then make on offer or ask what the seller would take for an item. I would never volunteer what an item might sell for. That's why you see these folks wanting the full retail value for an item and Rick offers them half or less. It's called keystoning in the retail business (selling for double), which is a normal retail pricing format. That's show business, though!

I stopped by their shop while out in Vegas last February, but there was a line around the block and I didn't feel like waiting. I had brought a collectible Rolex with me just to see what they would offer, not intending to actually sell it. A lot of times you want to yell at the TV "Sell your stuff on eBay, you'll do better!" But then again, where's the entertainment factor of reality TV in that? :D

Weasel_Loader

I do watch it for the entertainment factor. Chumlee is halarious. The whole crew are terrible actors and their lines are predictable. I just enjoy seeing what comes in the door and how stupid some of these people are. My favorite was the guy that brought in a F-4 ejection seat and thought it was a WW2 ejection seat that "was actually used during an ejection". :lol: Funny how desparate these poeple get to unload their valuables and will take anything in the end.

Pure entertainment! ;)

rpmooreii

I went into the shop this past October. There was a short line but we got in in less than 10 minutes. None of the cast were present and 99% of the people in the shop were just looking at the stuff that had been featured in past shows. The places was pretty ratty and dirty and the "retail" prices were outrageous... I wonder if they ever actually sell anything!

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

capt71

I also watch & love the show.

I'm constantly thoroughly amused by the people who bring in an item to sell, then expect the shop to buy it for the "expert's" full estimated value (have you noticed that they have access to seemingly unlimited "experts" for everything?). Duh!!! It's a PAWN SHOP, get it???

Getting back to that A-2 jacket, I really wanted to slap the s___ out of that "son". He just wanted money so he could go out for a nice dinner or gamble someplace. He certainly seemed to have no sense of value, respect, or any sentiment for his father's WW2 items. I guess the old biblical quote about "casting pearls before swine.." applies in his case. :evil: :evil:

Anyway, I hope the set ended up with a collector who appreciates and values it.

P.S. I'm betting that Chumlee has a considerably higher IQ than he appears to have on the show. :lol:

derleicaman

The same guy with his dad's A-2 was trying to sell his dad's sealed box of Cuban Coronas on last night's show. I wonder how may times this guy needs to strike out? He really does have an appreciation of the things his dad left him, doesn't he? I recall the Old Man saying to him when he brought in the A-2, "What did you bring in this time to try and sell me?"