• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patches & US Navy Jackets

dadgad

Hi everybody
I need a little help in a camp where I'm not keen at all;
if you experts of the forum could point me to some coherent documentation about patches for G-1 jackets from M-422A to J-7823C.

Thanks much for any help.

GL

442RCT

dadgad said:
Hi everybody
I need a little help in a camp where I'm not keen at all;
if you experts of the forum could point me to some coherent documentation about patches for G-1 jackets from M-422A to J-7823C.

Thanks much for any help.

GL

I'm not sure if there is any coherent documentation in regards to placement or type of patches on G-1 flight jackets. If there is, I'd be interested too. The photos of G-1s I've seen, pretty much have assorted patches all over the jacket. The local air museum has a couple of original patched G-1 type jackets, with the squadron insignia, number of 'traps' and assigned aircraft carrier patches, it also had civilian made patches of countries the pilot visited/ported. In the book, "Hell Bent For Leather", there are photos of pilots wearing their 'careers' illustrated by the patches, on their G-1 type jackets.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I agree ,other than the placement of the pilot/aircrew etc ID patch most other patches are anywhere the owner/wearer wants to put them, in the older era (40's) most jackets usually just had the name patch and maybe a squadron they were with, it seems to me that the larger amounts of patches being added onto jackets in the USN didn't start to come about until the 50's and onward, especially the 60's-70's .

shedonwanna

I've been painting for navy aviators for several years and we jokingly refer to their jackets as "winnebago jackets" - a patch for everywhere they've been!

dadgad

Thanks much for the replies, really helpful.

Now a last thing, I recently got an uncommon 1964 MIL-J-7823C Irvin B. Foster Sportswear G-1 in great original condition.
The jacket was issued and has signs of removed patches on both upper arms and name tag on left front chest.
The question is if it is possible to assign a couple of appropriate patches to apply for the period of the jacket.

Thanks again for any help.

EMBLEMHUNTER

dadgad said:

Now a last thing, I recently got an uncommon 1964 MIL-J-7823C Irvin B. Foster Sportswear G-1 in great original condition.
The jacket was issued and has signs of removed patches on both upper arms and name tag on left front chest.
The question is if it is possible to assign a couple of appropriate patches to apply for the period of the jacket.

I don't think it would be any trouble as long as you put patches of the correct era to match the jackets era, and make sure they're USN or USMC , you wouldn't put any "Modern" era types on it .

dadgad

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
dadgad said:

I don't think it would be any trouble as long as you put patches of the correct era to match the jackets era, and make sure they're USN or USMC , you wouldn't put any "Modern" era types on it .

I just got these amongst other, what do you think?

!BpRIhhwBGk~$(KGrHqEOKjkEuZ)Q8P!FBLqnRKSVlQ~~_35.JPG

US 11ST AIR ASSAULT DIV 1963-1965

!BfPN2ygBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEref1CL,GBL!cP!Pyww~~_35.JPG

US AIR FORCE MC DONNELL F-4C PHANTOM II

!B)CHETQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKm4EvyFnjv)2BMLqu3S,l!~~_35.JPG

US 229TH AVIATION BN 1ST CAVALRY DIV

EMBLEMHUNTER

The only "problem" I see with the patches you posted is that they are not USN, and G-1's "usually" tended to have USN patches on them.
It being your jacket you can still put whatever you want as it is yours , but if you really want to make it look like a "USN" type you need to find some period VF/VFA/VA/RVAH/VAW/HS/ etc types , then put those on it .

But again if you're not worried about it being kept as a USN specific jacket then your patches would be good to go .

442RCT

Yeah, I agree with Emblemhunter's advice, in regards to the patches for a G-1. You have two US Army helicopter assault units (1st Air Cav) and a F-4 Phantom patch. The F-4 patch would best paired with a fixed wing Navy, VF (fixed wing fighter) or VA (fixed wing attack) squadron that flew F-4s. You can add an Aircraft carrier and/or a Carrier Task Force group patch from that era, which were pretty commonly sewn on G-1s.

mowgli

If you want authenticity, don't sew the F-4C patch on the jacket; neither the Navy nor the USMC flew this variety of Phantom. The correct patch would be for a F-4B (RF-4B), F-4J, or F-4S.

Mowgli