• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patched L2a links?

Tim P

I would be interested to see any pictures of (or links to) L2a jackets in a patched state. I will be obtaining my second from couchy soon, the first being a 46 few pritzker, the second a nice 44 rickson superior. One may end up being patched and I am seeking inspiration. my instinct is for metal rank under acetate, a name plate, possibly ww2 style leather strip but also considering printed white web and foil blocked wings name combi.
a nice SAC patch on oversized twill may be a tasteful addition to the right side (nice and generic and typical for RAF Brize norton where I once served) although I only have a TAC one of the right type at the moment.
it may be that I fold and go for something altogether more squadron based choosing a medium bomber unit from Korea.
would love to discuss fully the pros and cons.
Tim

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
I will be obtaining my second from couchy soon, the first being a 46 few pritzker ...

Are you sure it's from The Few, Tim?

They are working on a small nylon range, but last I heard, nothing was released yet.

Weasel_Loader

Careful as L-2As were pretty much gone from inventory by the time SAC patches were being used. That's not to say there was never a L-2A out there being used with a SAC patch. There are some strange cases of L-2As being used up until the early 60s as evidence below shows.

B-58.jpg

I'd stick with the black thin leather name tapes with silver lettering on the L-2A. The white cloth tapes were not popular until the 60s. Same goes for the ranks (silver on black leather).

Here is a nice color photo of Buzz Aldrin in Korea with a nicely patched L-2A.

BuzzEarly.jpg

Tim P

some nice pics there. Happy to not go down the SAC route on that advice. may look for something with a medium bomber connection..... ;)