• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pass the monkey wrench!

MikeyB-17

Regular readers may have noted me recently expressing my desire for a D-1-ever since I sold my B-3 I have missed owning a sheepskin jacket, and have had my eye on a D-1-although I loved the B-3, I fancied a simpler design this time. Sadly, buying new from ELC or Aero (or Goodwear) is not an option, so I have been trawling the second hand market. Both an ELC Irvin and an Aero ANJ-4 have been and gone, and recently Andrew put this D-1 up for sale on the forum. (See here:)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8509

Having just lashed out a small fortune on getting my motorbike back on the road, I was in no position to take advantage, and John Lever put me out of my misery by buying it. John, like he does, has now bought a B-6 and very kindly gave me first dibs on this D-1, which I was delighted to take off his hands, and which arrived today.

DSCF3542.jpg

DSCF3544.jpg

As seen in the previous post, it's an old 80's (?) repro by Martin Gould, who I've not come across before. It's a pretty decent repro too, although with a couple of departures from the original specs. The shearling is, as Andrew has pointed out, quite similar to ELC Redskin stuff, a nice reddish brown, with a golden hue to the fleece more reminiscent of an Irvin. It's seen some service, but remains in good shape, with a couple of minor tears which have been repaired, and which I intend to address, either myself or by sending them to Aero. It has a really nice well-used feel to it, and you could easily take it for an original jacket. The fit is about as good as it gets.
The zips are Riri's, obviously not seen on AAF D-1's, but very nice zips which I wouldn't want to get rid of. The zipped pockets are very handy, although I wouldn't dream of putting my hands in them-they're too high up, and I'm convinced they were never designed for that purpose. We're currently having ideal weather for a jacket like this, cold and clear. I've been wearing it today and been very glad of it-it's nice to have another sheepskin jacket.

Roughwear

Mikey, I'm glad you got your hands on this jacket. It's a good fit and ideal for the current cold spell in the UK. Enjoy! :)

Clark J

Looks good on you Mikey!The only thing I'd do would be to cut off those leather pulls and just add some thinner leather strip pulls.

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
The zips are Riri's, obviously not seen on AAF D-1's, but very nice zips which I wouldn't want to get rid of. The zipped pockets are very handy, although I wouldn't dream of putting my hands in them-they're too high up, and I'm convinced they were never designed for that purpose.
Probably not, but the pockets on originals (and more accurate repro's) are positioned much lower and you can use them as handwarmers. Yes, Riri zips are quality.

MikeyB-17

Thanks boys, I'm pretty pleased with it for the money. I know what you mean about the pullers, Clark, but they've been on there a long time, and like the zips themselves, are part of the jacket's history, so I'm reluctant to take 'em off. If a zip ever fails I may have a rethink. I suppose the pockets are a bit high, but for a third of the price of a better repro, I can live with them.