• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Particular A-2 fit

Jake431

And be prepared to go through multiple jackets before you find “the one “
My soul is ready! I've owned a RMNZ Dubow A-2, Aero 1940 pattern A-2, ELC Star A-2, tried on myriad other A-2s, as well as helped John Chapman QC his earliest jackets (when they were just being made out of cowhide and he was testing them/kicking the tires on the idea of opening GW), so I've had many, many jackets, but been more or less completely out of the flight jacket game for a decade at this point. Originally, I wanted a Dubow, but the pocket placement did me no favors. I really like the collar shape of the Star, and enjoyed my Aero, but none was ever right. I think what I've learned is this - I need to embrace I'm never going to be a tucked in shirt person, so I need a longer, more modern body (which I realize is a deviation from originals, but I'm not buying originals, and I'm not a wartime pilot, so, I'm fine with this), and I like the higher stance of a stand collar (looks better on my neck), with a relatively trim fit and square shoulders. I just want something I can fit over a trim sweatshirt. I live in the Bay Area and don't need a winter jacket. All that said, I did recently try on a Real McCoys Japan A-2 (model 220, which from what I glean is an updated pattern i.e. longer torso, I think), and that was pretty much perfect, except for price, and the fact that it isn't a reproduction of anything in particular, though I do think it's effectively a Rough Wear.

Grant

Thanks Grant - can you drop a link from John's site? The Cooper isn't in the roster list I can see, nor can I find one on the sale page. Never thought I'd be getting back in, but you know how it goes. Still regret selling my RMNZ M-422a and RMJ Stagg.

I'll try and get some fit pics of my Good Wear Cooper - damn nice A-2. Totally hear you on the Real McCoy's Stage B-10. I still really dig mine.

Grant

I just realized this is Jake, formerly from Chicago! Still fondly remember our meet ups at Paul Saunders to drool over his A-2 collection and eat Chicago style pizza. And who can't forget Al's Italian Beef!!!
Here's my old RMJ Stagg looking the part after so many years of wear.

B101.jpg
B102.jpg
B103.jpg

Jake431

I just realized this is Jake, formerly from Chicago! Still fondly remember our meet ups at Paul Saunders to drool over his A-2 collection and eat Chicago style pizza. And who can't forget Al's Italian Beef!!!
Here's my old RMJ Stagg looking the part after so many years of wear.

View attachment 109505View attachment 109507View attachment 109509
Haha, yes it's me, Grant. That Stagg looks beautiful. Makes me wonder what mine looks like these days. Had a deadstock Conmar puller and everything.

Last edited: