• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pappaw's jacket

abria13

Hey everyone - I know nothing about anything which is why I am here. I have an old aviator jacket, no idea on make model or year so to speak. Story was my grandpa - who was ever miffed because he couldn't be a pilot in WWII - got it as a gift from a pilot whose plane he maintained. Pappaw worked on corsairs in the pacific. He and I were buddies and I somehow wound up with it which is ironic because I was the only one in the family who did anything aviation related. Well, I pulled it out of the closet because I decided it's time to wear the dumb thing and quit keeping it hidden away. However, as you can imagine it's in need of some work. It actually looks quite good compared to some I've seen. My question is, can anyone recommend someone to restore it to wearable state in the northern VA/DC area? Pappaw was my best bud and I really want to take care of it and honor his memory.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpeg
    IMG_4105.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4104.jpeg
    IMG_4104.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Dumpster D

AH, the pictures are working.

Is that an Aero B-6 Jacket? I can't tell from the photo of the tag if that's right...but it kind of looks like a B-6 to me.

They didn't make too many Type B-6 Jackets from what I heard.

If so, you have a very rare and special Jacket and need to do some more research about it. You do not want to wear something made of sheepskin that is 80 years old. It's too fragile and collectible. You can buy an exact Reproduction Jacket like this certainly for something to wear.

Leave it as-is.

It's in pretty nice condition for it's age, but...If it's a Type B-6, it's definitely not time to 'wear the dumb thing'...it's way too rare and vintage to think about wearing. Please, seriously consider a reproduction jacket to wear. Hopefully some members here could help point you in that direction.

If there are *Redskin* veg tanned and also chrome tanned sheepskin panels on that Jacket, it's referred to as a 'mixed batch' Jacket, that would make this jacket one RARE piece of history, as those jackets were only produced like that for a very short time (I *Think* early 1941?) The collar looks like it could be the early Veg tan hide on first glance of those photos.

Hopefully someone here might be able to give you some more info about it, as it's pretty amazing if that's what it is.

Last edited:

abria13

If aero is make in Ny then yes it’s definitely an aero B-6 jacket. Let me know if any specific pics are wanted. With the except Of the collar does look to be in decent condition. Guess I should just wear my own flight jacket I suppose. ‍♀️. Love this one though. . The pics are blurry but cleared up when I tapped or clicked on them. Thanks for the help. Wish I knew who gave it to my grandpa. So many stories lost.

Attachments

• IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4112.jpeg
    IMG_4112.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 72

Dany McDonald

Hello Abria,

I really appreciate you sharing this jacket with us and especially the story. I am also inclined to think that this design was made to serve for a certain amount of time and decline. Once restored correctly (sympathetic restoration) to stabilize the decay, it will make a wonderful display piece, but nothing wrong with going out for a walk (if strong enough) and enjoy it once in a while...

It would make a very nice reproduction piece in the right hands, Goodwear. Please keep us updated with your decision.

Could you post detailed images of the zippers, main and side. I think they are both Crowns?

Thank you,

Dany

Last edited:

Kermit3D

Wow ! It's not something you see every day.
It's definitely a B-6 Aero Leather. An “intermediate” winter jacket (the B-3 was heavier).
This is a jacket that was quite rare during the Second World War. It was sometimes worn by fighter pilots and some bomber crew members.
Present in the European theater, but also in the Pacific (in cold areas).
Very few B-6 have survived. Yours is in beautiful condition.

As others have said :
Don't wear it...it's too precious and too fragile.

Get a high-end reproduction (which will be 95% identical) and wear it as a tribute to your grandfather.

Thank you for sharing !

Kermit3D

Note the size 42L on the label. I knew that B-6s were available in size R "regular" and L "large/long". But I think this is the first time I've actually seen a size "L".

Would it be possible to give us the dimensions of the jacket?
As described here

A big thank-you !
You have an awesome jacket !

Dumpster D

Specific pictures. Please, Could you take some photos of the Jacket from the front, carefully laid out. It's worth documenting this jacket history as much as possible. Yes, it's rare as a white Buffalo.

It's fair to say original B-6 Jackets are especially rare, highly desirable collectors items.

The collar appears to have the early 'Redskin' veg tanned hide, making this a bit of a 'mixed batch' Jacket from 1941, I would say. Wow.

It's a good size too.

Remarkable.

I don't know. My best advice to you, do some more research and documentation. Sincerely consider reaching out to some reproduction Jacket makers and invest in a repro Jacket that you can enjoy wearing.

Also, do not keep this jacket on a coat hanger please. Keep it safe, look after it for me.

mulceber

Yes, more pictures would be greatly appreciated!
If aero is make in Ny then yes it’s definitely an aero B-6 jacket.
The present-day Aero Leather is based in Scotland (and they actually might be a good choice for a repro of this jacket - they could probably copy the russet panels), but in the 1930s and 1940s there was a prolific military contractor named Aero that was based in Beacon, New York.

Last edited:

abria13

Yall cracking me up. And thanks for all the replies. Get more excited the more I read. Will measure at some point and more pics as requested.

Attachments

• IMG_4130.jpeg
    IMG_4130.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4129.jpeg
    IMG_4129.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4128.jpeg
    IMG_4128.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4127.jpeg
    IMG_4127.jpeg