• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

painting an original A2

dujardin

hello all,

i have a project.
i intend to ask Roberto to paint one of my jacket, an A2 (1756).

Roberto answer me this :
I have a question: are you sure that you want to put on an original A-2 a new paint?
The project sound interesting. I'm sure the configuration will look really cool. I should be able to age the painting and make it looking old enough to fit the jacket but still it will be a fake.

now i'm in doubt with myself.

what are you thinking of that ???????????

thanks

marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dujardin said:

Roberto's right, I wouldn't do it to an original, Marcel.

If the artwork is something you really want, maybe put the project on hold, and wait until you have a suitable repro.

See .... there's a good excuse to buy another jacket. :)

jacketimp

dujardin said:
hello all,

i have a project.
i intend to ask Roberto to paint one of my jacket, an A2 (1756).

Roberto answer me this :
I have a question: are you sure that you want to put on an original A-2 a new paint?
The project sound interesting. I'm sure the configuration will look really cool. I should be able to age the painting and make it looking old enough to fit the jacket but still it will be a fake.

now i'm in doubt with myself.

thanks

marcel

why doubt yourself :eek: .......ye of little faith ;) ..........waht's your original like? :?

better still give us a pix..........then we can give you our opinion.........and you decide for yourself.....

Tim P

Let me throw this lione of thinking into it..
Is it your jacket?
or are you the current keeper of an historical artefact?

your answer will do much to determine how you proceed. A repro only has certain value (monetary and historical) and is, in my opinion, better suited for painting.
If you have paid dollar for it then you can ultimately choose to do as you wish of course.

I wouldnt do anything to a jacket that didnt constitute restoration to original state. Adding a patch for instance to existing stitch holes or replacing a worn out decal. A coat of pecards for the sake of preservation. Even then I would do so after much thought.

Andrew

Peter Graham said:
Nnnnnooooo !

This was going to me my line!!! Even spelt the same!

Marcel, my thoughts;
original jacket=original
new paint (even by someone as skilled as Roberto) = not original
They don't go together ;)

A

Anonymous

DON'T DO IT Marcel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use a repro' FFS.

WHY would you want to do this ???????????????????????????????????

J_H

dujardin

PICT0016-2.jpg

PICT0017-2.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0019-2.jpg

PICT0020-2.jpg

PICT0021-1.jpg

this is a small shot of photos,
the jacket is a little bit ''destroyed''; liner - collar - left sleeve (top).

my idea was to give her a better look and hide the problem on the top of left sleeve.

my first idea was to ask Roberto to paint one of my M422.
than i change of idea.

and to complete my idea was to paint this A2 (1756) but i was not sure at 100% and when i receive the answer of Roberto, i change completely of idea.

so i insure you I WILL NOT PAINT MY A2

I will delay my project to a later date when i found a good repro at low low low low low price and in good state.

so, that's it; many thanks gents for your answer (opinion). it's a great value for me and also for my jacket.

bye byeeeeeeeee friendship from Belgium

marcel

better duck

Marcel, I can only agree with all of the above, and my opinion doesn't change after having seen your photos of the original.

You'd better put some thought and effort (and comradely advice from you VLJ buddies) in how to preserve this jacket, and perhaps, as far as possible, repair the damaged parts.
Just my 2 Eurocents...

dujardin

hello again everyone,

to complete this episode and insure you, i NOT MORE intend to let paint my A2.

and reading all your comment, my feeling concerning original jacket A2 or others is now well fixed.
i will no more get the idea to change authenticity, historical preservation.
all my original jacket (present and to come) will stay as they are.

maybe a day i will get the chance to buy an original (and originaly painted) jacket.
when all my works will be finished and my old house sold. i think that i will make me a great pleasure.

so, many thanks again for your honesty, sympathy, aso aso...

friendship from Belgium

marcel

Tim P

TFFT.

(Thank F For That)

seriously , good choice. keep looking for a good jacket that can be painted without destruction of the value.

Regards,
Tim

TMB

I have to say I personally have a totally different view on this.

In the past I have had two original jackets (M-422a) painted and am very glad I did. Both now are so much more a pleasure to wear, and that's why I bought them, to wear them. That said both jackets are ones that were heavily restorted - I would not even consider painting one that was in good totally original condition - but, in my opinion, a jacket that has had extensive work (new lining, mouton, etc) is fair game. I also emphasise this has been done not to imply the paint is original WW2 but purely to add to the enjoyment of wearing it. Each to their own I guess...

Tim P

TMB said:
I have to say I personally have a totally different view on this.

In the past I have had two original jackets (M-422a) painted and am very glad I did. Both now are so much more a pleasure to wear, and that's why I bought them, to wear them. That said both jackets are ones that were heavily restorted - I would not even consider painting one that was in good totally original condition - but, in my opinion, a jacket that has had extensive work (new lining, mouton, etc) is fair game. I also emphasise this has been done not to imply the paint is original WW2 but purely to add to the enjoyment of wearing it. Each to their own I guess...

You do have a point. it all comes down to value I suppose.. a deadstock size 46 David Doniger Iwould say is unlikely to have a modern paintjob done on it, a heavily restored well used jacket, maybe more likely if so inclined especially if it lends a new lease of life. I would still be reluctant however.

TMB

Absolutely, and I can totally understand you reluctance Tim, but when it comes to a pretty hammered not particularly great example, adding some artwork onto the back can transform it. To be honest I've got another couple of jackets right now, H&L Block and W&G M-422as, that I am considering getting painted up, but neither of these as they stand right now would have much financial or historic value. Not that adding artwork would increase their value but it might then make me want to wear them! Just need to decide what to get painted and find the right artist - there don't seem to be too many candidates nowadays in the UK.

rob75IT

dujardin said:
PICT0016-2.jpg

PICT0017-2.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0019-2.jpg

PICT0020-2.jpg

PICT0021-1.jpg

this is a small shot of photos,
the jacket is a little bit ''destroyed''; liner - collar - left sleeve (top).

my idea was to give her a better look and hide the problem on the top of left sleeve.

my first idea was to ask Roberto to paint one of my M422.
than i change of idea.

and to complete my idea was to paint this A2 (1756) but i was not sure at 100% and when i receive the answer of Roberto, i change completely of idea.

so i insure you I WILL NOT PAINT MY A2

I will delay my project to a later date when i found a good repro at low low low low low price and in good state.

so, that's it; many thanks gents for your answer (opinion). it's a great value for me and also for my jacket.

bye byeeeeeeeee friendship from Belgium

marcel

Hi Marcel
I completely agree!!!!!!!!!! That is the best choice :D :D :D
Roberto