• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a shoulder roundel straight onto the sleeve

P-47 thunderbolt

Hi guys, I'd like to try my hand at painting a standard USAAF wings roundel onto a jacket shoulder, essentially the same as a decal. Does anyone have the dimensions/placement measurements I could use?
Cheers

CBI

a great way to do this is make copies form an online image that you have sized. make the copies on card stock. Make 3 or 4 copies. You can use an exact-o knife to cut out the images and use them like stencils. Best to use a make up sponge to apply the main colors. get the paint a little dry on the sponge before applying so there is no bleed under the paper. Then do the detail work with a brush and/or India Ink marker. I have painted probably a dozen this way. Stuff a rolled beach towel into the upper sleeve so the leather is taught. Enjoy

jeremiah

what kind of paint are you planning to use?
I have used acrylics before and the Cobalt Blue is a nice match to the NOS I have put on two jackets. Need to seal it after it dries with acrylics.

P-47 thunderbolt

Thanks guys, I was going to use acrylic model paints, although I aso have enamels. I guess enamel would take more of a beating but I'd quite like it to fade in pretty fast

CBI

In my experience, acrylics will hold up longer, enamel will crack however, enamel is closer to 1940's era lead based paint and overall, I prefer the look of enamels. Enamels are also a bit easier to use as you don't need repeated coats as you might with acrylics. A skilled artist can make both work. Generally, enamels DO hold up longer on a stationary object but a different story with moving/bending/creasing leather.

Grant

It's not the star and wings meatball, but Jerome painted my dad's 13th BS Ocar directly on my ELC Cable using old lead based enamels, which is what most likely they would've been used during the war. Sure, it's chipped and faded some with time and wear, but that's what I wanted.

CABLEII.JPG

Happy Hooligan

I'm surprised you were able to find old usable enamel paint Grant, looks great and will wear exactly like it's suppose too.

jeremiah

Enamel is oil based which, if properly sealed, will remain usable for years. One can always employ some solvent to reactivate it as well if a little dry.

Was lead base any different?