• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted Poughkeepsie A2 size 42

Andrew

If the artwork is original it looks like it may have been retouched- it's just occured to me that this is what might happen to mine, and i'd be an accomplice :oops: I hope it doesn't, but then it's pretty well known now.

I don't agree with the practice of "fixing up" original work as it is messing with an historical relic and can be resold to the unsuspecting as original for a massive profit.

TankBuster

Check the paint with a blacklight. That is one way to distinguish modern paint at a
90% success rate. A guy also has to use some common sense when looking at the
paint wear in comparison to the jacket wear, ect......
The best of course is a wartime picture of the artwork on the jacket as the ultimate provenance but they are nearly impossible to find nowadays.

Dr H

Jeff
By 'blacklight' are you referring to near ultraviolet (wavelength maximum ca. 365 nm)?
Cheers
Ian

havocpaul

Trouble is his past reputation will haunt him, and why the new eBay account, I never like to see that as there's usually a suspect reason to do that. In this case, I am not 100% convinced it's all original wartime paintwork.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
Trouble is his past reputation will haunt him, and why the new eBay account, I never like to see that as there's usually a suspect reason to do that. In this case, I am not 100% convinced it's all original wartime paintwork.

Looking closely at the art work it seems to be too pristine to be all original. There is normal wear to the squadron patch, but hardly any to the nose art. It may have been painted post war by the vet or even quite recently. Without seeing the jacket in the flesh its impossible to be conclusive about it. The seller's reputation makes one doubt that the art work was done in the War, at least not during WW2!

TankBuster

Dr H said:
Jeff
By 'blacklight' are you referring to near ultraviolet (wavelength maximum ca. 365 nm)?
Cheers
Ian

Ian,
Yes, the more strength the better. The cheap handheld versions are
really pretty useless in my opinion.
Jeff

Dr H

Thanks Jeff, fortunately the labs are well stocked with switchable lamps (they're used to visualise TLC plates) at either 254 or 365 nm.

I'll have a little play around when time allows.

Cheers

Ian

Hawkeye

Im no expert on jacket art but the style of the artwork itself looks decidedly modern to me..not alot what I'd expect someone in the 40's to paint.