• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painted Irvin Jacket

spitfire1

Hello:

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am collector of RCAF/RAF WW2 militaria. I am interested in flying gear, log books, documents and photographs.

I also like to collect Irvin jackets.

I thought I would post some photos of this painted Irvin in the hopes that one of the Irvin experts on this forum could help me determine the manufacturer and date of production. Also, maybe tell me a little more about the features of this particular jacket.

This two panel jacket was originally owned by a Spitfire pilot from the RCAF's 421 'Red Indian' Squadron.

The jacket has a replacement main zipper but features AM and Lightning marked arm zips. It is also a nice large size.

The nicest part is the large 421 Squadron crest that is painted on the back of the jacket.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments regarding the jacket.

Here are a few pics:

DSCN9682.jpg

DSCN9677-1.jpg

DSCN9673.jpg

DSCN9672.jpg

DSCN9595.jpg

dujardin

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i can't help you with identification of Irvin but if the paint is an original WW2 artwork, you have there a treasure

first time i saw such a large paint on a RAF jacket

by the way, welcome aboard

Andrew

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. Good to see you here and I hope you end up posting some of the other items in your collection.

That is indeed one sensational jacket. Andrew S will give you a full analysis in due course. ;) I see that you've not repaired that sleeve tape, I probably wouldn't have either since she's for display only.

dmar836

Welcome! Great jacket and I hope to hear more!
Didn't know the Britts painted their jackets.
Dave

Dr H

Aren't they nearly American? :?

OK, stop throwing things, I'm only kidding... ;)

Nice example of artwork though...

spitfire1

Thank you for your comments.

I thought I should attach a photo of the label which may help in my quest to find out more about the jacket i.e. manuafacturer, date of production, features, etc.

DSCN0685.jpg

Peter Graham

Welcome to the forum. Lovely Irvin. I've never seen a back painting of that size on anything but an American jacket. I reckon a jacket of that calibre demands to have an original zipper fitted.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. Your Irvin jacket was made in 1941/2. I know this because a slightly earlier contract, H.539780/41, has the date 1942 on the label, but was awarded in late 1941. The H.539784 contract was one of four sequential contracts issued by the Air Ministry around the same time, all for Irvin jackets from Wareings and Irvin Air Chute. Your jacket was made by Irvin Air Chute of Letchworth, Herts and it even has the 1932 patent number on the large linen label, which was only used on IAC jackets and trousers. It also has all the "house" features of IAC jackets at this time such as the square collar, medium size belt loops and smaller collar rings. Lightning zips were often used on IAC jackets at this time. The painting on the back is rare and as has been said is a feature of some RCAF jackets. The practice of painting Irvins was not permitted by the RAF.

spitfire1

Hello:

Thank you all for your comments on my jacket and kind words.

Also, thank you Andrew for identifying it and giving some insight into it's features. It is greatly appreciated.
You sure know your Irvin jackets!

Yes, Peter I agree that this jacket should have an original zip fitted. I would also like to have a couple of repairs made to it but I don't know of anyone here in Canada to do such repairs. I thought I should just leave it as is until I get it looked after professionally. I also need to find the proper main zip for it.

Cheers,

Rob.

Roughwear

Rob, The best source for main zips would be a pair of Irvin trousers in poor condition. They can be bought in this condition on Ebay for around £60-100.

spitfire1

Hi Andrew:

I guess the main zip would also be marked Lightning on one side and AM on the other, same as the arm zips?

Could any competent leather jacket shop handle this installation?

Roughwear

The main zip would either be a Lightning or a Dot zip. I'm sure a competent leather worker could do the work, following the original stitch holes. Good luck. :)