• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Origins of my Willis & Geiger G-1...

Maverick785

A while back I got my hands on a Willis & Geiger G-1 on ebay for a steal, sans presentable cuffs. The contract number is N383S-39943. If I had to guess, I'd say it was made for the civilian market: there's no USN perforation, and on the inside of the jacket next to the windflap there's a leather patch with gold naval aviator wings that reads "Authentic U.S. Navy G-1 Flight Jacket From Original Designer Manufacturer". I've wondered when it was made as well as its quality compared to other G-1s. Can anyone help me out? Hopefully the black tag counts for something. :)

A

Anonymous

I remember several years ago they would sell those in the Navy Exchange. I think it was around the time of Top Gun. Mid 80's.

I remember looking at the label to compare it to my issued G-1. The leather and mouton seemed darker than the older issued jackets. They looked ok but I don't believe those were the official issue G-1 of that era.