• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Werber G-1 that recently sold on this forum

Marty490

Hi, I'm new here and due to insufficient time & posts not presently authorized to comment in the Buy/Sell section. Just wanted to say something about the Werber G-1 over there. Great looking jacket and as a note, that I have the exact jacket, same size, same Canadian zipper etc, with no evidence that the collar is anything but original. But on mine, there is no evidence of a USN stencil under my collar....... Darn it, I guess someone forgot to spray mine back in 1952.

Last edited:

mulceber

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't know why some jackets have it and some don't. It's also possible they were removed occasionally by the wearer. A little acetone is all you'd need.

B-Man2

I’m guessing that the “USN” may have been removed by the last guy the jacket was issued to, right before he stuffed it into his sea bag and brought it home after he was released from the navy. It’s called plausible denial. If it wasn’t marked as belonging to the US Navy the owner could argue that it was a private purchase jacket. It was done on occasions.

Marty490

That's a possibility, my dad was a flight corpsman on a C-47 stationed out of Norfolk in the mid 50's. I remember he had a G-1 that somehow made it home with him before he was transferred to Alabama for pharmacy school. That's what got me 'into' flight jackets, trying to find one like his old jacket. As a kid I remember how great that jacket was, it's long-gone now. My older brother wore it to high school in the early 60's and managed to get it stolen, anyway, it was never seen again. In the mid 70's, that same brother ended-up as a first-class engineman on the Sequoia (Presidential yacht at the time) and a G-1 was issued as part of his official uniform for that specific ship. I'm pretty sure one of those ended up coming home with him too.

Last edited: