• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Top Gun 1 Jacket

ZuZu

After a lot of discussion me and another are convinced that the Top Gun jacket worn in the original movie is a Foster 55J14, A size 40 or 42 55J14 with big shoulder pads worn by a size 38 little man. I thought it was a Werber for a long time because it has a short body and long arms but the Foster 55J14 also shares these characteristics. What convinced me was the faint trace of a pencil line seen in some photos and the fact that the pockets on Cruise's jacket are too far apart to be a Werber.

Pencil pocket line:

$dddd.JPG

Last edited:

bseal

Jennifer Connelly has been my screen crush for years, so I get it.

F309456F-3267-4BC5-BFCB-309BAE8F86AA.jpeg

Kelly, however, could have really grounded the sequel. Would have been exciting to have seen another red hot love scene between those two just as they are; with no makeup, hair transplants, personal trainers, nutritionists, hair dye, face and or shoe lifts.

Highway to the ….

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

They used to use a platform for little Alan Ladd and most of his leading ladies. Then they paired him with Veronica Lake who was tiny and together they looked like a normal sized couple.

Who was the big attractive woman with little Tom Cruise there? Funny how small men like big beautiful women - if they can afford them.

Capt

I read somewhere likely on here that Tony Scott made him wear cowboy boots for the heals:)

P2725TMB

I'm pretty sure its a Foster 55J14, with those lovely shaped pocket flaps. Another feature of the Foster is long sleeves for jacket body length, which that one clearely has!

Erwin

Hi,

I’m not sure, as haven’t seen any proper references about what exact jacket in the first Top Gun was used. However a very interesting information about Mav’s jacket made by Marlene Steward (made from a multiple G1’s). I found this really surprising what job was done by her.

A reference for this can be found here:

Hopefully I’m not adding something what was already posted?

Flightengineer

Hi,

I’m not sure, as haven’t seen any proper references about what exact jacket in the first Top Gun was used. However a very interesting information about Mav’s jacket made by Marlene Steward (made from a multiple G1’s). I found this really surprising what job was done by her.

Thanks, that was very interesting.
Not only the G-1 assembled from different G-1 parts for his body, but also CWU and even custom-made jeans ...

ZuZu

Hi,

I watched the video. What a to-do! Recreating the 80s jacket from 40 originals? What a sad death for those poor pieces of history! Sacrificed on the altar of the tiny Scientologist's gigantic insecurity! I magine having the job of satisfying Crazy Tom's vision of himself. What a nightmare!

It had it's own bodyguard? (the jacket)

Confirmation of the shoulder pads...