• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Tanker Jacket Question

alcon

Does anyone know why original Tanker jackets were designed where the zipper doesn't go all the way up to the top of the collar? I don't know the reason do you?

alcon

Yes, I thought about that too but, if the zip went all the way to the top the wearer would have a "comfort choice." If he wanted to be warm, he could zip it up to the top. If he was uncomfortable with it zipped to the top, he wouldn't have to zip it all the way up. I initially thought it may have something to do with the need to have space for communications wires but, somebody must know for sure. :?

Tim P

I think it just is. No real additional wamth can be gained by another two inches of zip. The way it is the zip pull can't really rub against the sensitive skin under the chin.

arclight

Also the OD wool scarf was used extensively in the ETO with the tanker, M41 and M43. Can you imagine cold zipper teeth against the neck and face?

Tim P

arclight said:
Also the OD wool scarf was used extensively in the ETO with the tanker, M41 and M43. Can you imagine cold zipper teeth against the neck and face?

I can. :(