• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Poughkeepsie A-2

Lorenzo_l

Warning: picture heavy!
Here are a few pictures of my original Poughkeepsie 28560 A-2, which I got from fellow forum member @Wz1999.
For background info, this is an example of Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co.'s only A-2 contract, for 50,000 jackets, awarded in May 1942.

The jacket was in pretty good shape when I received it, although the leather was a tad dry, so I gave it a light coat of leather conditioner, which did wonders to revive the colour of the hide and make it even more supple. I am happy with the results:
PXL_20240324_094608293~4.jpg

The jacket is still strong yet very supple. A delight to wear, albeit only occasionally. One can notice the ghost stitching of a squadron patch on the top right of the front panel:

PXL_20240324_094608293~3.jpg

The nomenclature label. It's tagged as a 42 and it fits like one, slightly large on me (fit pics later):

PXL_20240324_095009446~2.jpg

There is what looks like a serial number written to the left of the label (58863) and another inscription below the label which has been covered in black marker/ink.

The gilt-plated M-41 Talon zipper works fine:

PXL_20240324_093842313~3.jpg

Details of the left and right collar hooks and ring snaps, showing the double-barrel eyelet for attaching the collar hook:

PXL_20240324_094031774~2.jpg

PXL_20240324_094013553~2.jpg

The epaulettes, clearly showing the ghost stitching of rank insignia:

PXL_20240324_094230708~2.jpg

PXL_20240324_094253113~2.jpg

The AAF meatball decal looks quite well for its age:

PXL_20240324_094207896~2.jpg

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

The underarm stitching, still going strong, and gussets:

PXL_20240324_094438370~2.jpg

PXL_20240324_094502614~2.jpg

The knitted cuffs are replacements. The only parts not original to the jacket, as far as I am aware:

PXL_20240324_094830701_exported_1206_1711273777095~2.jpg

The liner, a pale shade of tan, is in remarkably good condition, with only minor fraying in the neck area:

PXL_20240324_093923822~2.jpg

The back panel:

PXL_20240324_094411931~2.jpg

And a fit pic. As I mentioned in Part 1, the jacket fits a tad large on me, but I guess that when comes to originals, that's better than a trim fit, to avoid putting undue stress on the seams:

Original_Poughkeepsie.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Could use some educating on This original contract. What makes these distinguishable in relation to other Wartime makers?

Smithy

I've said it before on here but everyone rattles on about Dubows and Donigers, but for me Poughkeepsies are the most under-rated. Comfy pattern yet sharp looking, often that lovely chocolate colour with OD stitching, nice pocket flap shape without being too scalloped, and the best name by a country mile.

So rare to see someone say they're getting a Poughkeepsie compared to other contracts when they're getting a GW and you have to wonder why.

Most under-rated contract and Lorenzo's original shows why it's so wrong. I'd take that over a 100 Dubows any day of the week.

B-Man2

Jan, you know I'm probably the biggest cheerleader for Poughkeepsie jackets here :) My GW order which John has for me on hold (until I need a new jacket) will be for Poughkeepsie.

Crazy how much it's ignored by guys ordering repros. Their loss.
Tim
I know you’ve seen this but for the new guys who haven’t , it’s one of JC’s great looking Poughkeepsie’s from his website .

Smithy

Tim
I know you’ve seen this but for the new guys who haven’t , it’s one of JC’s great looking Poughkeepsie’s from his website .

Doesn't get any better than that Burt.

And yet, guys prattle on about Dubows, RWs, Donigers, etc, etc.

Poughkeepsies are just such great looking A-2s. I remember talking with John about them and him saying how they look really sharp yet are still one of the most comfortable to wear patterns

Nuts how few guys pick them for a repro.

B-Man2

Doesn't get any better than that Burt.

And yet, guys prattle on about Dubows, RWs, Donigers, etc, etc.

Poughkeepsies are just such great looking A-2s. I remember talking with John about them and him saying how they look really sharp yet are still one of the most comfortable to wear patterns

Nuts how few guys pick them for a repro.
I don’t really know this to be true but do you think that because Poughkeepsie Manufacturers only had one contract, where as the other well know makers had multiple contracts, might have something to do with people preferring a RW , DuBow or Aeros ?

mulceber

I don’t really know this to be true but do you think that because Poughkeepsie Manufacturers only had one contract, where as the other well know makers had multiple contracts, might have something to do with people preferring a RW , DuBow or Aeros ?
I think that's a big part of it. The other part is whether the company is known outside of AAF jacket circles - Star and Monarch only had one A-2 contract, and they're really popular, but they were regular contractors for the Navy as well. Poughkeepsie only got the A-2 contract and a couple of shearling jacket contracts, so I think it tends to make them sort of a wallflower in our hobby.

Smithy

I think that's probably the thing Burt.

John said to me they're a lot like a RW in terms of "style" but with an easier to wear fit.

They're criminally under-rated compared to other contracts.