• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Perry A2

DSummers

Greetings,
I was comparing two original Perry A2’s and noticed that the epaulets were a bit different. One had slightly longer rectangular cross stitching and a bit wider also than the other. The leather was also a bit thicker on one. I know all hides are different so there would not necessarily have been complete uniformity and I assume some variations in epaulets as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

B-Man2

Hi
Simply put … it was wartime production. Multiple people sewing the jackets together . Each operator had their own little idiosyncratic way of doing things . Jackets from the same contract had differences . Some had one pocket higher than the other. Only people like us who scrutinize these jackets and look for answers for differences in each and every minut detail would have ever noticed the differences .

Last edited:

Brettafett

Most repros today, are more 'perfect' than originals in many ways...

This is also why one maker's version of a particular contract may differ a little from another maker's, simply because the original they are copying off, varies somewhat from the other maker's original.
Most of the top end guys have a number of originals of the same contract and basically follow the most common attributes.

Guys like Mr Chapamn of GW, are also constantly on the ball regs his patterns and updating where necessary. He recently acquired another original RW1401, which varies a little to the others he has/ had... And thus, he is updating hid RW1401 pattern to emulate this one. Same for many others...
Eastmans done the same.

WBOONE

This is all very true. When your dropping over $1500 on a A2 you want it to be "perfect" so to speak. I think if a high end repo maker accidently shipped a original in near mint condition A2 instead of the repo of that contract some people may complain about the "sloppy sewing" and "miss alined" pockets on their expensive jacket! I know i would.

B-Man2

That really is one of the more laughable contradictions of this hobby. We all want the most realistic and accurate WWII reproduction A2 jacket that can be made. A virtual clone of an issued USAAF A2 jacket, duplicating an original jacket right down to the number of stitches per inch. However, when the jacket arrives it has to be perfect in every respect and NOT include any of the wonkiness and mistakes that could typically be found on most issued jackets of the day. So on one hand we want an “Original Repro “ but on the other hand we want a “ Perfect Repro” . And here’s the really funny part of all this ……. What do we do when the day comes that the PERFECT jacket, that you waited several months for, and paid hundreds of dollars for arrives ?? ……… Well hell man! ………..You wear the piss out of it and beat the hell out of it !! …… of course you do … I mean you want it to look like an original … right ???
You really have to take a look at this hobby and laugh. And yes …. I’m as guilty of this as anyone here.o_O

Last edited:

Smithy

Burt is spot on.

On a similar yet relevant note, at the aviation museum I worked at we had several original, combat worn A-2s.

Each and every one had wonky stitching in places and interestingly, on each jacket the pockets were around half an inch higher/lower compared with the other side.

WWII A-2s were mass produced and weren't made to the laser accurate dimensions that today's high end repros are.

Lord Flashheart

... And all these stitch details that are described by repro manufacturers as markers of quality ... a bit like the idea that no plan survives first contact with enemy these jackets were all made to deadlines by real people having good days and bad, experienced and not.

ausreenactor

Burt is spot on.

On a similar yet relevant note, at the aviation museum I worked at we had several original, combat worn A-2s.

Each and every one had wonky stitching in places and interestingly, on each jacket the pockets were around half an inch higher/lower compared with the other side.

WWII A-2s were mass produced and weren't made to the laser accurate dimensions that today's high end repros are.
The Five Star Poughkeepsie A-2 pocket snaps were copied off a wartime original. Everyone going crazy demanding perfection on a budget level jacket. Of course Shawn elevated the outputs right away....