• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original L.W. FOSTER SPORTSWEAR CO., INC. Flight Jacket, Intermediate G-1, Specification 7823(AER). Contract No.DA-36-243-QM(CTM)2312

Lord Flashheart

I'd like to share my latest acquisition. It's an L.W.Foster G-1, 7823 from their 29 April 1958 contract for 37,712 jackets. The failure of goatskin suppliers to make deliveries on time delayed the production start to August 1958 continuing into 1959. Not all aviation battles take place in the air and this contract and L.W.Fosters subsequent contract for circa 16,000 additional jackets became subject to litigation which has been written about elsewhere.

The jacket is in good condition and came to me with a some abrasion close to the left collar tip and a little high point wear to the goatskin in one to two places. Thanks to Burt for his very helpful advice about treating these "dings" which I have followed and on that score I've included Burts helpful thread on this below:

The mouton is in a nice dark chocolate colour and the knits are in good shape. It has a blackened Conmar zipper which runs well. As you'd expect there's a USN stamping on the windflap and the interior pocket and snap are sound. It's a size 42 and is very wearable given that it is 64 years old.

For enthusiasts of "wonky" workmanship the horizontal stitching on the reverse of the collar clearly has character.

Whilst the jacket is not named and doesn't appear to have had any patching it does in its own way represent a small footnote in USN jacket history. There's a bit more context for this contract here:

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/“a-better-fighting-garment…”-a-beginner’s-guide-to-the-us-navy’s-wwii-era-and-later-intermediate-flight-jackets.27377/page-3

IMG_0388.jpeg

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg
IMG_0390.jpeg

Last edited:

MaydayWei

That's in absolutely stellar condition; and just look at that fluffly mouton!
A phenomenal jacket on an equally phenomenal guy.
You pull it off extremely well, Phil. A perfect fit in my eyes.
Wear her in good health and in stormy skies - for the full USN experience! ;)