• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original I.Spiewak on ebay

WBOONE

There is a original A2 on ebay under "ORIGINAL WWII USAAF I. SPIEWAK TYPE A-2 JACKET SIZE 44". the pics look good and the knits have been replaced by U.S. Wings. Any opinions as to the authenticity, quality and reasonable price for this jacket? Thanks, joe b

WBOONE

I just did a search for "original A2 jackets" under newly listed and it came up. Here is the item number:321696155621. thanks

Dr H

Goatskin looks sound, but odd sizing? Looks more like a 46 than a 44.
I have a Good Wear Spiewak and this one would fit me.

Peter Graham

jschare said:
I asked Silver Surfer about it and he thinks it's been re-dyed.
It's certainly a more russett shade than any other Spiewak I've seen but it looks too neat for a re dye. Even the hanger is the same shade.

Roughwear

The photos make this Spiewak look more russet than it is in reality. The original finish appears 100% in tact and there is no sign of rot. The fact that the stitching has no traces of dye is further evidence to substantiate that the jacket retains its original finish.

WBOONE

Thanks for the info guys--it is a nice looking A2. will be interesting to see what it goes for. I have not ruled out bidding on it yet. Will see were the bidding is at in the last few minutes. I do have a Golden Fleece black leather goatskin jacket with Talon zip that i bought in Atlanta in the early 80's and it seems the Golden fleece jackets were also made by the I. Spiewak co. The jacket still looks new but hasn't been worn all that much.

CBI

I owned an original Spiewak in super condition that was "seal" goat. Frankly, it was the worst quality original I have ever owned. Very thrown together, poor cut (at least to me). Sold it post haste!!!

Silver Surfer

hmmm... i am probably wrong about the redye. it was the pic of the pocket snap [male side] flat area that looked to have light brown on it. yes indeed, the stitching appears not to be dyed over. the right top shoulder seems to have the beginnings of the dreaded "red rot". i am now of the mind that for the most part, spiewaks were sourced from hides from over seas, likely from india. for years i assumed that they were improperly tanned. i now believe that they were tanned as any other hides were tanned, but not allowed to cure after tanning. that or sent to the us in a wet cargo hold. point being, the hide degradation probably began when the spiewaks were made. of course this would not be detected at first, and real damage would begin by the later 40s-50s...give or take. improper curing-drying would also help to explain why spiewaks shrank disproportionately. i have seen spiewaks that did not appear rotted or shrunken, but they are few and far between.

Dr H

I also think less likely to have been redyed, but I'd be wary of an original jacket from this maker for the reasons outlined above - it does sound more like a systemic degradation problem.

On the other hand, I have a 'Spiewak' from Good Wear and this is superb - comfortable cut, shape design.

foster

Silver Surfer said:
it was the pic of the pocket snap [male side] flat area that looked to have light brown on it.

I think the snap face was broken off in that photo. I think the flat area is the smooth flattened leather that was once under the top piece of the snap.

Roughwear

foster said:
Silver Surfer said:
it was the pic of the pocket snap [male side] flat area that looked to have light brown on it.

I think the snap face was broken off in that photo. I think the flat area is the smooth flattened leather that was once under the top piece of the snap.

This is true. The small ring snap is detached from the mount, which is still in place.

Roughwear

I have owned several Spiewaks over the years. I have owned two with decent goatskin. However even those were not made of the same high quality tanned goatskin used by Doniger or Roughwear for example.

Skyhawk

It's over $800 now. Good eye on that rot. I see it there on the shoulder. Just a hint. Also looks to be on the left collar tip. I didn't see that until you pointed it out though and the rest of the jacket looks mint. I'll bet it goes above $900...