• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B3 restoration help/suggestions

jpholla10

I purchased (ebay) an orignal B3 last year that was in rough shape but generally in tact. It has holes in one cuff, the collar, armpit and one waist buckle is ripped free from the waist. Also, the zipper is busted and the leather is dry and flaky. I used some saddle soap on the russett HH facings and the straps to bring back some of the color. Other than that, I haven't done anything with it. I'm not sure what the next step should be? Should I send it off for repairs and try to bring it back to wearable condition? I don't think I'll wear it up (if at all) but I don't feel like I'm getting any use out of it in its current condition. I'll post before and after pics from last year when I cleaned it up with saddle soap.

Before:
DSCN0666_zps62fb9216.jpg

DSCN0668_zpsc18e691b.jpg

DSCN0681_zps02634fd7.jpg

After:
DSCN0676_zps87b3268c.jpg

DSCN0677_zps24dd399e.jpg

DSCN0683_zpsc5876067.jpg

Do you think she can be restored to wearable condition? Is that even the right thing to do with a 70 year old piece of history? I welcome everyone's thoughts.

PaulGT3

The tones in the HH are BEAUTIFUL!! This one is touchy, I think I would have it repaired but I dont know that I wear it.

a2jacketpatches

that blown out armpit and removed buckles etc. tells me the shearling is dryrotted and beyond repair. It'll never be restored enough to wear.

jpholla10

a2jacketpatches said:
that blown out armpit and removed buckles etc. tells me the shearling is dryrotted and beyond repair. It'll never be restored enough to wear.

I fear that you are correct. I think the best way to honor it may be to stabilize it in present condition and get a manikin
to display it on. Or, I could sell it/trade it for a wearable repro. I love ELCs two-tone B3s but I could never justify paying full price for one.

jpholla10

PaulGT3 said:
The tones in the HH are BEAUTIFUL!! This one is touchy, I think I would have it repaired but I dont know that I wear it.
Paul,

I agree. I was amazed at the color that was hidden under 70 years of grime. Also, the texture of the map pocket is beyond description. It's soft and pliable to the hand but still very sturdy. The HH elbow reinforcements have fantastic character as well despite being much stiffer than the map pocket. The original quality of this jacket must have been truly impressive.

CBI

Looks great - but by all means - DON'T wear it. It will fall apart. Display or if you want a wearer, sell...............

Peter Graham

Flying in the face of popular opinion as usual, I say restore it and wear it. I restored a B-3 in similar condition into a robust and quite historic wearer. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10993
Rips in sheepskin are really easy to sew up and if you're careful can be unobtrusive. Source yourself a repro or original Talon and get it fitted professionally. It's a tricky business. Give the sheepskin a light coat of Pecard and you're good to go. What can you lose ? You will soon know if it's robust enough to wear. If more rips appear sew them up and sell it on or display it. No way would I buy a jacket and not give it a shot as a wearer.

a2jacketpatches

Not to butt heads with you Peter, but I think he should pinch a few areas and give a fair tug before wasting a lot of time and money, start at the pit and see if that part continues to rip easily. if he can pull off a small piece at the edge of that tear, it's gonzo. The rip in the pit tells me that just a stretch of the arm did it. Even if the jacket was too small for the guy who ripped the pit, it was still too easily damaged. This is very typical of sheepskin and easy enough to determine the the integrity without performing futile repairs.

Peter Graham

a2jacketpatches said:
Not to butt heads with you Peter, but I think he should pinch a few areas and give a fair tug before wasting a lot of time and money, start at the pit and see if that part continues to rip easily. if he can pull off a small piece at the edge of that tear, it's gonzo. The rip in the pit tells me that just a stretch of the arm did it. Even if the jacket was too small for the guy who ripped the pit, it was still too easily damaged. This is very typical of sheepskin and easy enough to determine the the integrity without performing futile repairs.
Of course experiment a bit before spending money. It goes without saying. All I'm saying is don't write it off as a non wearer without trying. Not trying to cause offence but like mine, it's never gonna be a mint example so what's the worst that can happen ?

jpholla10

All great suggestions and they are much appreciated. So if I understand correctly: if it tears very easily that is evidence that it has suffered from dry rot? I'm unfamilliar with dry rot so I'm not really sure about this.

If it has suffered from dry rot, will application of Pecards (or another product) bring it back to life or is it completely finished? I don't want to write it off as salvageable until I'm reasonably certain.

Thanks for the input.

a2jacketpatches

Dry rot can never be fixed, it is what happens from moisture and drying over and over. Expansion and contraction so many times that the integrity of the fibers fail and are no longer bound together they way they should be.

jpholla10

a2jacketpatches said:
Dry rot can never be fixed, it is what happens from moisture and drying over and over. Expansion and contraction so many times that the integrity of the fibers fail and are no longer bound together they way they should be.
I see. Thanks for the info. What measures can be taken to minimize or prevent dry rot? Humidity control? Avoiding large swings in moisture content of the leather? Always making sure that the leather is conditioned properly? I see some original Type A-2s and B3s that look nearly as good as they did "off the shelf" in '42. They have wear, sure, but the integrity of the leather is superb. The HH facings, reinforcements, belts/straps, etc. are in fantastic conditin on my B-3.

I'm intrigued by the science behind the integrity and longevity of leather. I can think of no other natural fiber that holds up to age as well. Fascinating. Thanks for the input, all.

a2jacketpatches

Found a B3 many years ago that was stored in the living area closet for a very long time according to the owner, Air conditioned in the summer Cape Cod, very humid, the jacket was very strong. Then found one being sold in a restaurant that was going out of business after a very long time, it was on a mannequin up near the ceiling about two stories up. I climbed the ladder up to the jacket and was able to poke my finger through it. Sheepskin pants in an attic once, crispy like a potato chip. In my own place on CC, every spring my leather supply grew a green mold in the basement where I kept my shop, and a lot of stuff I'd buy out of basements at estate sales were no good or had serious issues. Just never know but certain areas of a house have their typical issues.

a2jacketpatches

I have just one question that'll determine if it is repairable or isn't repairable. Is it or is it not dry rotted?

That should be figured out at this point according to the quick test I recommended. If it isn't, great. If it is and you decide to fix it anyway, good luck.

jpholla10

I'll try to poke my finger through it when I get back from work today. I'll also lightly tug on the armhole tear and see if it's disintegrated. Thanks.

dmar836

Sean has it. What's funny about shearling is that once it starts to go, the nap is actually so intertwined on these old jackets, it actually appears to be holding together much more than it is.
Hope it works out but I personally would have a low threshold for displaying it.
Dave

Skip

a2jacketpatches said:
Found a B3 many years ago that was stored in the living area closet for a very long time according to the owner, Air conditioned in the summer Cape Cod, very humid, the jacket was very strong. Then found one being sold in a restaurant that was going out of business after a very long time, it was on a mannequin up near the ceiling about two stories up. I climbed the ladder up to the jacket and was able to poke my finger through it. Sheepskin pants in an attic once, crispy like a potato chip. In my own place on CC, every spring my leather supply grew a green mold in the basement where I kept my shop, and a lot of stuff I'd buy out of basements at estate sales were no good or had serious issues. Just never know but certain areas of a house have their typical issues.

Sorry just cottoned on to this thread and Sean mentioned mould. If you get pure clove oil put 1/4 teaspoon in litre spray bottle of water, shake really well, spray on affected parts it will kill mould roots and all. I live near the coast, plenty humid, and it really works. Never had mould reoccurring since, and it's been 2 years since applying it. Not sure how it works on painted areas but try a small area first.

ghq1

Rotten sheepskin is rotten sheepskin.

So you have some options:

a) bronze it like a baby shoe
b) cover or overlay the entire jacket in HH like that one guy did over on FL
c) resell it to some poor guy who only wants to ever look at it . . . forever
or
d) be happy that, despite the terminal rot, you have some nice wartime leather facings, hardware and a zipper