• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-1

Hawkeye

Thats not a bad looking jacket, I'm not a fan of the B-2 but I like this B-1, I think its the use of a sheepskin lining and windflap rather than an alpaca/blanket lining. Can a Goodwear B-1 be on the horizon?

A

Anonymous

I love the color and the two tone lapel and collar is different .I do not think I have ever seen one .

Rgds Jeff

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Wow ! That is in nice condition. Love it. Just my size too. How many of those can be left ?

My size too! Finding such a jacket would be a dream come true; I certainly wouldn't have been on the phone to John asking, "Do you want it?" :lol: The windflap, the only thing I don't like about the Buzz B-2, looks fine too.

Could it be the same jacket on the cover of "Hell Bent for Leather"?

Chris217

Hawkeye said:
Thats not a bad looking jacket, I'm not a fan of the B-2 but I like this B-1, I think its the use of a sheepskin lining and windflap rather than an alpaca/blanket lining. Can a Goodwear B-1 be on the horizon?

That would be so awesome! I'd hafta get one.

However, I'm still waiting on J.C. to offer us a GW Superior Togs A-2. Stony you need to find him one of those as well! :lol:

buzzthetower

Administrator
I wish I could offer a jacket like this, but it's really too much work for what the price would be, and I'd have to get new machinery to pull it off (double-needle post bed machine for the French seams of the body panels). One would have to get the correct zippers, too, and after all this, if only 5-10 were made over a year, it just wouldn't be worth the effort. Imagine such a jacket selling for $2,000.00...only a few would really be made, I think, and they aren't the most practical jacket. Just like B-3s, they're good for only a small percentage of the year.

I'm gearing up for a B-6, as that to me is a practical sheepskin jacket. It has easily used pockets, isn't too thick or heavy, and looks so classy if copied properly from an original.

J

Hawkeye

Thats great to hear about the B-6 John, I'm looking forward to it. So, I suppose a Goodwear Irvin is out of the question then :( :( :(

Stony

However, I'm still waiting on J.C. to offer us a GW Superior Togs A-2. Stony you need to find him one of those as well!

If I find a Superior Togs A-2, you'll have to pry it from my dead, cold hands. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
buzzthetower said:
I wish I could offer a jacket like this, but it's really too much work for what the price would be ...

.... and note that The Few no longer offer the B-1. Seems that finding a repro will be just as difficult as an original.

Peter Graham

asiamiles said:
Could it be the same jacket on the cover of "Hell Bent for Leather"?
I was thinking the same thing and dug out the book last night. They both have the stitch holes from the removed nametag and pocket and look to be a similar size. Surely the coincedience is too great though unless the photo in the book is a modern one. There has to be only a few of those jackets left.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Surely the coincedience is too great though unless the photo in the book is a modern one.
That photo has a sort-of modern feel to it. Is there a credit for it in the book?

MikeyB-17

It's not the same jacket-the collar fleece on the one in the book is very worn-almost threadbare, and has fairly distinctive bald patches at the edge. The one John's got has a lot more fleece on the collar. That's a hell of a find. I wonder why the two-tone sheepskin for the collar and lining?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
They both have the stitch holes from the removed nametag and pocket and look to be a similar size. Surely the coincedience is too great though unless the photo in the book is a modern one. There has to be only a few of those jackets left.

It's a nice idea ... but since the pocket removal was an official order for all existing jackets, most survivors will look like that.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
It's a nice idea ... but since the pocket removal was an official order for all existing jackets, most survivors will look like that.
I think it was the nametag stitch holes more than anything that made us make the connection. I didn't imagine B-1's would usually have nametags sewn on.

Stony

I think it was the nametag stitch holes more than anything that made us make the connection. I didn't imagine B-1's would usually have nametags sewn on.

J.C. and I talked about this and we believe that the horizontal stitch holes are actually where the pocket flap was attached.

J.C.? Is that what you've concluded?

asiamiles

Stony said:
J.C. and I talked about this and we believe that the horizontal stitch holes are actually where the pocket flap was attached.

There are 4 lines of stitch holes. The lower two would be for the pocket flap, but the others are much higher and thus must be for either name tag or...did the B-1 have something else sewed to the left chest that we don't know about?