• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original A-2 made in Australia?

SuinBruin

Yes, there was a run of A-2s made down under, generally referred to as V505 for the maker code shown on the label. Not much is known about them. You can do a search for more info; here is one pertinent thread. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11174

The one in the eBay listing doesn't appear to be one of the V505s; if it is authentic, it was almost certainly a private purchase jacket.

jollygreenslugg

G'day Skip,

Aussie-made A-2s do turn up from time to time. V505 rings a bell as far as designations or identifiers go.

*edit* SuinBruin's post gives more details, having been posted after I started my reply. Thanks for clearing it up...

Cheers,
Matt

Skip

Thanks guys, a wealth of knowledge this forum.

Shouldn't the Far East Air Force patch be on the sleeve?

Cooeee Matt, nice to here from a fellow countryman.

Andrew

This jackets been listed quite a while and the price has progressively fallen. I personally think that despite it not being a "real A-2", its a significant jacket from an Australian, jacket collecting perspective, as it's from a pretty limited period of time (the period when the FEAF had left the Philippines and was now in Australia (note the Southern Cross), and prior to the formation of the 5thAF. This narrow area of interest combined with the fact it's private purchase really limits the market, unfortunately for the seller. But if you're looking for a used A-2 cousin I thinks it's pretty cool as it's an entry level, patched A-2 with possible researchable prov it's becoming a more realistic proposition- not for me though as I have my grail of local A-2's.

TankBuster

I agree with Andrew, at the current offering there is alot of upside with this jacket. It's a great opportunity for a guy wanting to get started in the world of originals!

SuinBruin

Don't tempt me more than I've already been tempted. ;)

What's interesting to me is the apparent similarities between your V505, Andrew, and the eBay jacket. The lining material, hanger loop, and pocket details all seem pretty close. Same maker?

Dr H

In one of the threads on the V505, I think Jason surmised that this was the maker (in Melbourne I think?), although I don't think the V505 is labelled with a manufacturer's tag.
Andrew has one and can confirm.

Jason

I'm only 50/50 that Simpsons Gloves is the V505 contractor. Both in the state of Victoria - what's the chances of more than one leather jacket manufacturer in a state of 1.88 million in 1940? I tried chasing some information about Simpsons Gloves, but to no avail from my quick enquiries. Might have to dig a bit deeper after Christmas.

Skip

I dont have a great knowledge base, and this doesn't answer the question, but wandering around the net, found this link: http://www.wartimecollectables.com/upton.htm

The pictures in the ebay are very dark, but it seems a pretty close match to the v505 (pocket shape etc) in the link above

The ebay example doesn't have the same zipper as USA manufacturers, but I guess in wartime Australia we just had what ever was available?