• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original A-2 from the 828th Squadron

bobbyball

Hi everyone,

This weekend I will pick up the most amazing A-2 I think I could ever find. The jacket has been in a private collection for over 30 years and it comes with impeccable providence.

I will get some pics up as soon as I can but in the meantime here are some details:

The jacket is the no-name Cable Raincoat contract in russet horsehide.

It is named to J.C. Presswood who was a gunner in the 828th Sqdn (485th bomb group) based in Italy.

The front has his leather impressed nametag and his name painted above it along with a painted pilots wing. The 828th patch is painted canvas material in red and black of a grim reaper holding a bomb, on the right hand side of the jacket is painted a liberator, the back has a 'Vargas' style painted woman leaning back holding a bomb in her left hand and underneath her are 50 separate bombs painted.

Left sleeve patch aaf eagle (painted) with '15' inside the roundel along with a US flag painted below it and on the right sleeve is a yellow patch which I cannot make out clearly.

I have photographs of Presswood but he is wearing a B3 – the plane 'Boozin Susan' existed and has a woman painted on the nose and I believe he flew in this – the whole original crew managed to survive the war. The jacket appears from photos to be in incredible condition – probably not worn much because of the painting.

Cannot wait to get my eyes on this incredible piece of history.

Cheers, Bob

Roughwear

Sounds to good to be true Bob. What size is the Cable? I hope you can wear it to the odd airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of this beauty.

bobbyball

Roughwear said:
Sounds to good to be true Bob. What size is the Cable? I hope you can wear it to the odd airshow. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of this beauty.

It is a size 44 and this contract as we know is a very comfortable and generous fit.

bobbyball

OK, just had it kindly delivered to me so here are some pics: I am :D :D :D :D

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

bobbyball

The knits are in fantastic condition along with the zip which is a Conmar bell shape.

This has not been worn very much and I think I will only wear it to a couple of shows to preserve the paintings.

bobbyball

...and here is a picture of him along with the liberator 'boozin susan' – maybe there was more than one painted up? Would be good to know if anyone out there has another A-2 from the same crew.

Presswood is third from the left in the back row

828-Beilstein.gif

BOOZINSUZAN2.jpg

johnwayne

Lucky Bob I say!
Not really, at least you, someone who appreciates these pieces of history has it, rather than someone who will just buy to make a fast buck!! This is obviuiosly the jacket you was telling me about at Beltring last Friday and what a corker it is too. I'm intrigued by the leather name tag, looks like they got the first piece of leather they could find to hide whatever it is painted underneath - name of his girl at the time perhaps who he subsequently ditched?

A real gem there for sure

cheers
Wayne

bobbyball

johnwayne said:
I'm intrigued by the leather name tag, looks like they got the first piece of leather they could find to hide whatever it is painted underneath - name of his girl at the time perhaps who he subsequently ditched?

Yes, who knows? That's the thing with these quirky originals – you just don't know. In some ways it's tempting to see what is under the nametag but that would just be WRONG! – it would ruin the mystique. I have seen these white nametags before but not in the flesh. The jacket may well have been 'inherited' by Presswood and he just wanted to make his ownership of it clear?

These 'personality' jackets are not to everyone's taste as they can be difficult to wear but I just love them because they really do tell a story.

Bobbyball

capt71

Bob,

Beautiful jacket!!!!! What a fantastic find.

Just to let you know, the wings on the jacket are not pilot's wings--they are "Aerial Gunner" wings. Only the pilot and copilot would have worn the actual "pilot" wings, while other aircrew positions had their own specialized wings (navigator, bombardier, etc).

Here's a list of pics of the various wings--scroll down to Air Force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_b ... s_military

bobbyball

capt71 said:
Bob,

Beautiful jacket!!!!! What a fantastic find.

Just to let you know, the wings on the jacket are not pilot's wings--they are "Aerial Gunner" wings. Only the pilot and copilot would have worn the actual "pilot" wings, while other aircrew positions had their own specialized wings (navigator, bombardier, etc).

Here's a list of pics of the various wings--scroll down to Air Force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_b ... s_military

Sorry, should have made it clear that they are not Pilot wings – he was a Gunner

dujardin

little request

can you make a nice close-up pic of the B-é' painted on your jacket

many thanks
marcel

RCSignals

Fantastic jacket.

What is painted under his leather name tag may be the same as what is painted on his B-3 jacket in the same place.

jnlight75

RCSignals said:
Fantastic jacket.

What is painted under his leather name tag may be the same as what is painted on his B-3 jacket in the same place.

My guess is that it is the owner's name in Arabic. I've seen a few pics if a-2's painted that way. 15th AF was activated in North Africa, and it may have been popular to paint the name that way while they were stationed there.

bobbyball

Although I am not suggesting a jinx, half an hour after viewing this jacket I had a car crash – some silly cow went into the back of me at traffic lights and caused severe damage to the rear and boot of my Alfa Romeo.

In hindsight no one was hurt and these cars are only a bit of metal at the end of the day.

Initially the good news is that her insurance comapany have admitted full liability on her behalf and there is an 'outside' chance that my car may be fixed. All I could think about that night was that the grim reaper was about to visit and take his jacket back ;) ;)

I was pleased to learn thyat all of the original crew in Presswoods plane had survived the war – unlike my Alfa on the A12!

johnwayne

Ah but Bob.. as you say its only a car and Alfa's are 2 a penny so you can always get another one, not like your jacket!!
Must say I am truly envious of that beauty and its my size!!!

cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
Ah but Bob.. as you say its only a car and Alfa's are 2 a penny so you can always get another one, not like your jacket!!
Must say I am truly envious of that beauty and its my size!!!

cheers
Wayne

Wayne, hold on there about the Alfa's bit.
As an Alfa Owner myself I have to stand up for the brand
Two a penny indeed !!
Gorgeous things of beauty more like .

Bob
Sorry about the car - somehow I feel they will write it off as Insurance companies tend to do at the first opportunity
these days.
You did say at Duxford you were thinking of another car .
Maybe fate has intervened and thankfully safely for all people involved

bobbyball

Should find out about the Alfa's fate by mid-week. Just thought I would attach a close-up of the back. Those eyes are quite something:

Boozindetail1.jpg

Boozindetail2.jpg

Would love to know if this artist did any others

johnwayne

Alan, wondered if you'd pick up the bait on that!
I was joking of course but in some respects it's true, Bob will find getting a new Alfa easier than finding that bloody lovely jacket. Actually I quite like Alfa's too, not more than A2's though
cheers
Wayne