• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 31st Bomb Sq A-2s

Weasel_Loader

Finally had a friend of mine get photos of the two A-2s that are at the squadron orderly room display cabinet here at Edwards AFB. Wish I could have taken the photos myself, but these are not too bad. As some might know, this unit was at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec '41 and then deployed soon after and spent the entire war in the Pacific. One of my favorite units since it was the last unit I served with before my retirement (now named 31st Test & Evaluation Sq).

A-22.jpg

A-23.jpg

A-24.jpg

A-25.jpg

A-26.jpg

A-27.jpg

A-28.jpg

A-29.jpg

A-210.jpg

31stBSPatch.jpg

Interesting flight helmet. Not sure what kind it is.

FlightHelmet.jpg

unclegrumpy

Thanks for posting these pictures!

The flight helmet is a U.S. Army Air Corps 1 A Flying Helmet made by Western Electric. It came out in 1918, and was the first helmet that had built in ear cups for gosport or later radio receivers.

better duck

Thanks for posting Dan!
What do you think has been done to the second jacket: looking at the back panel, it looks like someone went at it with a steel brush!

dujardin

splendid photos for two splendid jackets

thanksssssssssss

i wonder too what happen to this jacket

i have an idea.....probably stupid.... but who knows....
i think that after war, this jacket was ''painted'' in black and that well after, he try to bring it back in original state
and yes, use a brush to clean the leather

just my two; no, one cent

Peter Graham

Thanks for those Danny. That must be one of the coolest of all squadron patches. I'll wager, judging by the large AAF stamp on the inside that the second jacket is a depot re-dye that someone tried to remove for some reason.

Phantomfixer

Could they be brush strokes FROM the redye as apposed to the redye being removed? I do not know how the redye was accomplished, brushed, dipped, sprayed, or wiped???

Roughwear

jzist said:
Could they be brush strokes FROM the redye as apposed to the redye being removed? I do not know how the redye was accomplished, brushed, dipped, sprayed, or wiped???

The re-dye would have been done with a paintbursh.