• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1961 Skyline MA-1

Spitfireace

Update: just received the jacket on Thursday and got to work on it yesterday. I found a pen ink stain in the pen pocket bottom. The guy who had it apparently took out the protectors. There's a lesson here people, don't take out the protectors. Anyway, there's like half a pen load of ink on the bottom of one of pen holders. Rubbing alcohol takes it out, but it takes a lot of rubbing to get out that much ink. Labour intensive, but it will come out eventually. Jacket is washed, and grunge did go away. A few knit nips, waist knit in really good original condition, wrist knits probably service replacements that don't match. They are in good condition though. Original Conmar in good working shape. When I get it decent, I'll post the pics. It's still drying at the moment.

Spitfireace

Here are some pics. Maybe not the best, but want to put up something before everyone completely loses interest. It's cleaned up pretty nicely, a couple of small almost un-noticable stains that might not come out. I have gotten most of the ink out of the sleeve pocket, but still needs a bit of work. As I say, it does come out, but is labour intensive. I ordered some new cuff knits and a collar knit from Mash Japan. As I was mentioned the cuffs are not the correct colour. A couple of small darnable holes in waist knit, but basically good shape. Collar is darnable, but I think I'll replace it as well at some point. Conmar zipper perfectly good shape except for blackening has come out on the front of the zipper, but normal for a jacket of this age. All in all I'm happy with it. I'm not the biggest fan of the MA-1, but this one is a classic, and I was also born in 1961, so I thought it would be cool to have.
20231224_163353.jpg
20231224_163930.jpg
20231224_163538.jpg
20231224_163516.jpg
20231224_163303.jpg
20231224_185233.jpg
20231224_185344.jpg

Attachments

• 20231224_163353.jpg
    20231224_163353.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30

Spitfireace

Got a compliment on this on the bus coming home tonight. A guy who had on a mall MA-1 sort of said hey nice jacket (he had a couple of girls and a guy with him) ! I proceeded to tell him of the story of the jacket I have on, and how you could get one on eBay and not to get ripped off etc. Also to check out VLJ.org Might have a new member coming soon ....hey we need to maintain interest in the younger generation right?

mindful

What sort of price should I be paying for a clean skyline I see there going for around £300 on eBay with bad condition knits

Spitfireace

Price is a pretty subjective thing. I got mine on Etsy. The knits on mine are in good shape, but the wrist knits were replaced with the incorrect ones a long time ago, which I didn't notice. You really have look at the provided pics, hope that the seller isn't hiding anything etc. Patience pays off, as others will tell you. Jackets that are 60 plus years old tend to have some kind of issue, unless you have the Jorge time machine. You might have to be prepared to do a little work on one.

mindful

Price is a pretty subjective thing. I got mine on Etsy. The knits on mine are in good shape, but the wrist knits were replaced with the incorrect ones a long time ago, which I didn't notice. You really have look at the provided pics, hope that the seller isn't hiding anything etc. Patience pays off, as others will tell you. Jackets that are 60 plus years old tend to have some kind of issue, unless you have the Jorge time machine. You might have to be prepared to do a little work on one.
Right that makes sense thanks

Spitfireace

Have to report I just went out in minus nine celsius and this jacket barely is phased by it. That's why the old jackets comprised of 58% wool and 42% cotton fill are the best.