• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1961 Skyline MA-1

Spitfireace

It's in the mail. Once it gets here, it's going to need a good cleaning. Seller described some rust stains, so I hope I can get these out. Reading on how to use white vinegar to get stains out. Once it's cleaned up I'll post some pics.

MikeyB-17

In one of those I’d probably be an XL these days Burt. About a 44-46. My last one was a Medium, but that was quite a while ago. It’s only an idle fancy-I really didn’t ought to be buying jackets right now. :)

Spitfireace

Love my Skyline and significantly thicker and heavier than my early 90’s Alpha but feels great to wear if not a little warm at times!! Enjoy!!!
That's why I chose a Skyline. The late fifties, early sixties jackets are the pinnacle of the MA-1 I think. The only problem is that these jackets, being as old as they are, tend to have condition issues. The price is good on the one I bought, but I'm not sure if the dirt that's in it is going to come out satisfactorily yet. The Real McCoy's makes a reproduction of the 61 but it's $650 US.

taiAtari

I'd be careful, the old ones have (partly) wool interlining, might ruin the shape. Anyway, I prefer a lived in look (although not filthy of course).

Spitfireace

I'd be careful, the old ones have (partly) wool interlining, might ruin the shape. Anyway, I prefer a lived in look (although not filthy of course).
Yes, wool clumping could be an issue but drycleaning most likely won't do the job. As in taking out tough stains like rust.

Dany McDonald

You know if you are gentle with any garment, they will be happy to let you wash them. All is in the handling and know-how.

I write this from experience...;)

Spitfireace

You know if you are gentle with any garment, they will be happy to let you wash them. All is in the handling and know-how.

I write this from experience...;)
I always wash by hand. In the kitchen sink or in a bucket. Anything that says it is a "Dryclean Only" is a hand wash. If it's wool use Woolite, if not a decent liquid detergent will do.