• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion Needed - Does Size Matter ?

442RCT

I'd like to get opinions as to whether or not to sew this patch on my jacket.
I bought an A-2 that already had a blood chit sewn on the back, so I acquired a repro CACW (Chinese American Composite Wing) patch for it. It's an, "I probably can't see the forest for the trees situation". I can patch this jacket with another CBI unit, but I really like this patch and that's why I need opinions.

Here's a pix of another pre-patched jacket I acquired last winter. Originally, I didn't like the 91st BG patch on this jacket because I thought it was oversized for the jacket. After wearing the jacket, it doesn't matter to me any more, the size of the patch is fine. I put the CACW patch on the left side for comparison.
100_0043.jpg

Here's a grouping of the largest patches I own, with the CACW patch, again for comparison.
100_0048.jpg

So, is the CWAC patch out of scale with my sz 40 jacket ?
Should I pick another CBI unit with a smaller size patch ?

unclegrumpy

That CACW patch is on the large size as far as patches go, but it is probably very close to what an original would be. Many of those CACW units had big patches, which I always thought was interesting because you would expect the Chinese pilots to be wearing smaller sized flight jackets.

I think it looks good, but in the end, it is all how you feel about it.

drew parker

With the wing that's on top of the patch, it really isn't any bigger than a standard patch with a name tag. I think it would be ok, especially if it's the only patch on the front. By the way, it is a nice looking patch. Drew.

442RCT

I took the jacket and patches to the tailor. I'm very pleased with the results.
The jacket is a Sefton in seal brown with what appears to be mismatched hides.
One sleeve and the pockets are very grainy. It had a blood chit already sewn on the back, so I had to do a CBI theme to match. ;) I absolutely loved the patch made by Sean (aka chitchat) .
cacw_02.jpg

CACW_01.jpg

CACW_03.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Just a little FYI, I made the CACW to be proportionate with a size 48 A2, my size. I was looking at the well known silk version sewn to an original A2, most likely a small size. So I eyeballed it for a while and came up with the pattern for my CACW patch. Cant say for sure that it's dead on accurate, but it looks about the same size as the original does on the original A2. I noticed that the semi-standard 5" patches seem a little small on large modern repros, so most of my patches are a little bigger to get the right look.

So my opinion is....It's not size that matters, but if someone likes the end result, it's done it's job.

Sean
a2jacketpatches (my new call sign here on the forum, and my Ebay user name)

442RCT

a2jacketpatches said:
Just a little FYI, I made the CACW to be proportionate with a size 48 A2, my size. I noticed that the semi-standard 5" patches seem a little small on large modern repros, so most of my patches are a little bigger to get the right look.
Sean
a2jacketpatches (my new call sign here on the forum, and my Ebay user name)

Sean I own two of your CACW patches. The first one had a larger skirt surrounding it, and was way too big for a jacket front, but would have been okay for a jacket back. The second one, which is the one I sewed on, had that perfect little bit of aging, was about 1 to 1.5 inches smaller in diameter.

I think you ought to compromise with us little guys who wear a size 40 A2 jacket and make your patches 5.5 inches in diameter :lol: ...

I'm still trying to figure out if I should sew that unofficial ATC patch you made with the nekkid lady, :oops: with political correctness being what it is today. :roll:

a2jacketpatches

I'll see what I can do about a smaller CACW sooner or later, and I can usually make any patch based on individual specs upon request.

EMBLEMHUNTER

most "original" patches I've seen of WW-2 era were between the 5-6 inch range, especially the USAAF ones , the Navy and the USMC got into some larger ones more so I think than the AAF did , but there were smaller AAF and USN/USMC type as well, I feel it depends on where you are placing the patch and type it is, some just look right reguardless and then others just seem too colorful/gaudy , just my 2 cents worth .

And by the way , size does matter to most women "especially" the wallet and other "things", ooo Ohhh now I've went and said it :eek: :D