• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Only GW Compares

ZuZu

Only with a Good Wear are you going to find an original jacket that literally matches. Compare this detail:

Original
same mine 1 - Copy.jpg

GW
20230719_164841a.jpg

Obsessively looking at Star photos I am finding more stuff like this. IMO only a GW repro gets this microscpic detail AND the correct pattern. I'll post more as they come up. The brass collar bushings, the placement of the clip and snap cover, the shape of the windflap etc. I wish I was smart enough to get the photos the same size...

Pilot

Agree, only John gets it right…
Here a few details on a GW Monarch A-2
Zipper box and double stitching on the zipper half wind flap side.
Monarch A-2 typical collar and its folding… Studs correctly positioned, collar tips as they should be.
33A0064A-5E75-4099-9107-E8E813282DB5.jpeg
5BA8691A-7DB6-4FB4-84BB-011603B953D8.jpeg
E82AFE88-E1AB-4084-9FFF-51E5C0E8E2B3.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Years ago people said it wasn’t possible to do this, to reproduce a wartime A-2 with this kind of detail. If you pointed out a fault in a repro you were ‘nit picking’, and if you wanted it like an original, you should buy an original. And they got quite shirty about it too. Now look.

B-Man2

So .. I have Jans’ GW Monarch and I know if he had it with him he would have been chomping at the bit to show some photos of his jacket. And rightly so as it’s probably one of the sweetest Horween hides I’ve ever seen. So here’s Jan’s GW Monarch .
IMG_1101.jpeg
IMG_1103.jpeg
IMG_1102.jpeg
IMG_1105.jpeg
IMG_1106.jpeg
IMG_1107.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg
IMG_1104.jpeg

B-Man2

Man, that really makes me miss the Monarch. Looks like she's doing great!
Yeah it’s doing well .. not getting any sun time this week as I’m having the inside of the house painted and I’ve got it locked in my jacket room with strict instructions to the painters to stay out of that room at the risk of being turned into “Fred” food! :)

Last edited:

caddyd

True enough but good comparison of original and repro labels here. When I acquired the ole Monarch the original lining was totally intact. But it started separating at the collar as usual after wearing it. So I've been patching it best I can to preserve the label and lining.

Attachments

• DSCN5620.JPG
    DSCN5620.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 78