• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One reason I will never buy from LOST WORLDS...

Swing

watchmanjimg said:
Swing said:
Hawkeye said:
A disgrace that manly pursuits are contaminated by the unmanly.

A guy that I've heard still sports '80s era Sperry Topsiders trying to tell others what "manly" is? :lol:

~Swing

Touche', but shouldn't vintage enthusiasts be careful making fun of "outdated" stuff?

I understand it's a fine line to tread, but in this case I'll walk it boldly!

As for Stu and his rants coming up as a topic of conversation here on a regular basis.... not every body has seen or heard of them yet, and I'm sure most people when reading his words for the first time are astounded and offended by his self importance and his contempt for his potential customers.

I wonder how much Stu's business has declined over the past 10 years? You know darn well the reason he hates this group, and the others before it, is that they HAD to negatively impact his sales.

~Swing

Doug C

quote from LW :
..WEB SITES AND CHAT GROUPS, RUN BY SELF-APPOINTED "EXPERTS." SUCH ARE USUALLY MANUFACTURER SHILLS
THE BIGGER THE LIE, THE MORE READILY PEOPLE WILL BELIEVE IT. ..., here-to-help-you "enthusiasts."
Those statement used to bug me too until I started to see that he certainly may have a point! I'm not naming any names but I know of an Indiana Jones jacket forum that this could certainly apply to. Still, no reason to be so abrasive to your customer base before they even get a chance to become your customer.

Doug C

Burnsie

These rants are indeed old - I read this stuff 4 years ago when first researching repros. I guess the moral of the story in my case was that I ended up spending alot of money with a different jacket maker as a result.

A

Anonymous

Burnsie said:
These rants are indeed old - I read this stuff 4 years ago when first researching repros. I guess the moral of the story in my case was that I ended up spending alot of money with a different jacket maker as a result.

Another $1000 lost sale ,I wonder how many he has lost in total ?. Is this the way to run a buisiness I think not .

Rgds Jeff

watchmanjimg

Burnsie said:

Clearly some people will be put off by Stu's remarks, and in the end it has to affect his business adversely. The sad thing is that his civilian/moto offerings are very tough to beat, at least in my opinion. Out of curiosity, who did you go with? I've been considering trying other makers for variety's sake, but I have serious questions about whether I'd be as happy with their products as opposed to Stu's. I like my Langlitz Cascade, but ultimately it lacks the character of my LW jackets and the heavy cow is no match for Stu's heavy horse. The Aero Cafe Racer FQHH definitely catches my eye, and may be my next leather jacket if I can justify yet another in an already bloated collection. ;)

No doubt each of us has an opinion about the big makers, but for me it comes down to the product. I have seen definite improvements over the years, by ELC in particular. This certainly puts the squeeze on the others and one never knows what will scare off potential buyers. I don't agree with Stu's approach based on the reaction here on VLJ, but I'd hate to see him go under because I'm not sure there's a comparable equivalent.

Doug C

swing wrote:
A guy that I've heard still sports '80s era Sperry Topsiders trying to tell others what "manly" is?
...Wow, I just had a chuckle at this when I read it :oops: I've been shopping for these lately (for the first time since the '80s) but in my own defense they're called the authentic model and go all the way back to the 1930's :ugeek: .
Doug C

Burnsie

watchmanjimg said:
Burnsie said:

Out of curiosity, who did you go with?
Aero, and I ended up buying 3 jackets from them over the next few years. I didn't take the LW rants personally but I did choose not to buy from them thereby not having the chance to make ANY assesment of their products quality. I found Aero's jackets to be very well made and nobody there implied that I was a "fairy" so there you go.
Those 3 jackets could've been LW's I suppose but now the point is moot.

kevlarg

Swing said:
Hawkeye said:

A guy that I've heard still sports '80s era Sperry Topsiders trying to tell others what "manly" is? :lol:

~Swing

Believe it or not topsiders are "hip" again, although he probably just didn't stop wearing them since the last go around.

Chandler

Doug C said:
they're called the authentic model and go all the way back to the 1930's.

Not to compare two extremely opposite people and personalities here, but I believe I've seen a picture of JFK in a G-1, on a sail boat... wearing "boat shoes" (as we called the topsiders in the Reagan years). :shock:

Then again, he was on a boat! :)

Chandler

jeroen

Ha ha, being a foreigner it finally dawned to me what 'Sperry Topsiders ' are. I didnt know the word and spent the past couple of days worrying I might be wearing some garment that is advertising my lack of 'manlyness' to the whole world... Like everyone I used to wear them in the eighties and was very sad when they finally fell apart and died on me some 10 years ago.
B.t.w. it is my experience that guys who talk a lot about how gay other blokes are tend to have serious issues with their own sexual orientation... maybe it is time for Stu to finally get out of the closet and do something to get a more positive atitude towards life. Like joining the village people, they are a pretty happy bunch and some of them wear leather...

jeroen

Swing

kevlarg said:
Swing said:
Hawkeye said:

~Swing

Believe it or not topsiders are "hip" again, although he probably just didn't stop wearing them since the last go around.

Hip and manly aren't one in the same. Someone who sells biker and flight jackets, and rants and raves about manliness like he does, better be wearing boots most of the year.

These

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/shopping/ ... &sColor=41

bring back memories of pegged stone washed jeans, polo shirts with popped collars, and a dash of swishyness. Now, they're okay with shorts at the beach, but other than that.....

~Swing

watchmanjimg

Swing:

By now it's obvious that this thread is anything but an argument, so I guess it's safe for me to remind you that the guys you're making fun of were getting all the ho's back in the day. Nobody was laughing at their Topsiders then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeroen

Absolutely! You should have seen me in the 80's. Sporting my red white and blue 'boatshoe's'. I had to beat the lassie's off me with a shitty stick!

Swing

watchmanjimg said:
Swing:

By now it's obvious that this thread is anything but an argument, so I guess it's safe for me to remind you that the guys you're making fun of were getting all the ho's back in the day. Nobody was laughing at their Topsiders then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know! What a sad state of affairs things were then, and today as a whole different set of douchebags are getting the "ho's". ;)

~Swing

Stony

Absolutely! You should have seen me in the 80's. Sporting my red white and blue 'boatshoe's'. I had to beat the lassie's off me with a shitty stick!

I never have worn "boatshoes" and I joined the Century Club in the 80s. It's your personality and aggressiveness that get you the "hos", not the shoes.

As for Stu, same stuff, just a few years later. The theme of this thread is the same now as it was then. Old and boring news IMO.

jeroen

I stand corrected. I was under the mistaken impression that this was a fake argument about something unfathomably unimportant, just for the fun of it, but apparently there is some real lessons to be learned here.

jeroen

brrrr... back to the eighties... the time of huge shoulder pads in anything and everything oversized about half a mile, and all women having scary sized big hairdo's and ridiculous amounts of make-up making them all look like Estonian harbour prostitutes. Oh yeah and then there was that thing with the stonewashed denim/teddy jackets... the list goes on and on. It wasn't the sort of time anyone in his right mind would want to go back to IMHO.

jacketimp

jeroen said:
brrrr... back to the eighties... the time of huge shoulder pads in anything and everything oversized about half a mile, and all women having scary sized big hairdo's and ridiculous amounts of make-up making them all look like Estonian harbour prostitutes. Oh yeah and then there was that thing with the stonewashed denim/teddy jackets... the list goes on and on. It wasn't the sort of time anyone in his right mind would want to go back to IMHO.

sorry........no experience with 'em :oops: