• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One reason I will never buy from LOST WORLDS...

jack aranda

For the absolute nadir of everything, however, nothing compares with the 70's. Three words will sum up the horror of it all: disco, polyester suits.

watchmanjimg

Did you feel this way at the time, Jack? I recall from my early teens in the '80s that disco-bashing was as popular as disco itself was in its heyday. My impression was that at the very least it was a fun time for many. Although only a child, I enjoyed the music somewhat. I suppose it looks silly in retrospect, but compared to what? Certainly if popular culture is the basis for comparison, are we to take the likes of Britney Spears more seriously than the average disco artist? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug C

screw Stu. but as for the boat shoes... look when it's extremely hot out and everyone in their right minds have on shorts, then my Red Wing GTs just aint gonna cut it. You gotta keep everything in context, true if you're making or wearing (for that matter) leather jackets, then go with something a little tougher looking. The way I see it though (the original) top-siders are classic as well as more rugged/manly in comparison to canvas deck shoes and/or sandals and flip flops especially..and hell they're cheap too. Btw Swing, that link you posted of the Sperry's were the version with white laces (who came up with that??) and do look a little "funny" if you get my drift - along with all the other colorfull ones. The regular classics from the '30s are much better IMHO, even Hemingway wore them.

Doug C

jacketimp

jack aranda said:
For the absolute nadir of everything, however, nothing compares with the 70's. Three words will sum up the horror of it all: disco, polyester suits.

uh uh uh........

stayin' alive stayin alive.........a la sat nite fever

Cliff

I actually find boat shoes very comfortable ....and no I am not what we used to call a Nancy boy !!!

as for LW and their spokesman.....I always thought he was a bit of an idiot !

regards

Cliff .... who has had a few beers and probably needs to go to bed now ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

blaze424

Years ago, I made the mistake of buying a LW G-1. Good jacket for what it was -- a nearly bullet-proof, overly stiff and too damned thick near approximation of a mil-spec G-1 that never, ever was.

I tried hard to like it, but it just never even came close to the real deal.

Since then, I have stuck only to collecting 1940s/1950s vintage mil-spec M-422s/55J14 and early 7823s.

Stu's G-1 was just so not even close.

All the same, he was business-like in the transaction.

But from my personal experience, as someone who owns more than a dozen early G-1s, his version of the Navy jacket falls far, far short of his own rhetorical hype and real, vintage Navy-issued jackets.

In all fairness, I cannot speak to his A-2s, shearlings, or civilian jackets.

bobjones

Sperry topsiders? Ugh, that's a look I cringe at even at the Florida Century Village centers...

Get canvas sneakers, like these for crying out loud:

http://www.endless.com/s?ie=UTF8&dept=2 ... f_rd_t=101

Anyway, as for Stu/LW, who is about 10 minutes away from me, I am a native NYer, here in the city for over 40 (forty!) years, and I still bought Aero. Schott is also here in the city, but I feel they are a notch below Aero, etc. IMHO.

Anyway, Stu just lost interest in dealing with me after a few questions about customizations, which Aero welcomes openly. He also refused to let me pick up a jacket - or even try one on for size at the Queens factory, even though it would have saved me alot in postage and time - just for the jacket to go, like 5 miles...Grrrrr....

Fine if they don't have a store/public area, but it would have saved everyone a ton of time and me, money. But he was completely inflexible, and I realized that for a $1,000 jacket, and I was not experienced in high-end leather jackets at the time, I didn't want to leave sizing, style, etc., to chance. But there was no budging, and I moved on. Since then 2 Aero jackets, and a third probably for next year, that $2K in lost sales, and I usually go out of my way to shop my local small business owner here in NY, but just could not accept working with him.

jacketimp

Burnsie said:
jacketimp said:
Where have you been imp. Half the FL Outerwear posts are here too creating a sort of hazy deja vu...best when drinking

i've been to me.........the VJL......i do drop in the FL once in awhile but personally don't believe in duplication.......the same topic twice?? whatever trips the tiga's trigga..

yep, just noticed that some members are BI-FORUM........whilst the thread might be duplicated i don't think the responses will be duplicated.....so that could be the raison d'etre for the double posting

sure... be fruitful..go forth and.... duplicate

Burnsie

jacketimp said:
yep, just noticed that some members are BI-FORUM........whilst the thread might be duplicated i don't think the responses will be duplicated.....so that could be the raison d'etre for the double posting

BI-FORUM :shock: Don't think I like the sound of that... :?

jacketimp

Burnsie said:
jacketimp said:

BI-FORUM :shock: Don't think I like the sound of that... :?

bi-.............as in bilingual.......two languages

bi..............as in bi-forum......as members of two forums......

bi-swing.....as in describing the back of a naval jkt

bi-swinger....a different breeed........they join a different forum, nest'ce pas?