• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Good Wear A-2 to Choose

alcon

If you were going to purchase new one Good Wear, Aero, or Eastman A-2 to replace all your A-2 repros, which one would it be? Reason(s)?

Roughwear

I would buy from John Chapman as he makes the most accurate repro A2s. I have a SAT on order with him, a jacket which no other repro maker currently produces.

B-Man2

Same here.

Good Wear (i.e. John Chapman) produces the most historically accurate A2 in terms of WWII A2's and the guy is great to work with. He'll keep working with you until he gets it right.

BTW why would you want replace all of your other A2's ? (unless they're the Mall type A2's)

Regards
B-Man2

zoomer

I'm considering a Security too (once I get over my Used Jackets Only rule).
Gee, at this rate GW may end up making more of them than Security ever did.

zoomer

Marcel, you want the Doniger then. I love wearing mine - maybe the most elegant of all the Army contracts, and the goatskin is beautiful stuff - soft, supple, lightweight and great pebbling.

dmar836

I have a GW Dubow. If you like them soft with the grainy, worn-in look without fake abrasion, etc., that's the way to go. Did originals come looking like that new? I wasn't there.
Dave
KC

bseal

The SAT is the bomb, but there is a new pattern A-1 in cape sheepskin on the horizon.

Tim P

Goodwear poughkeepsie, roomier fit and that maker is my favourite. very utilitarian cut. JC seems to capture it beautifully

watchmanjimg

In my experience one's build dictates which contract(s) will fit best. For me JC's Dubow 27798 and Star work great. Your mileage may vary.

Silver Surfer

i have some of chappys a-2s, and each is nicer then the next. that said, i would like to draw your attention to garys new monarch. this new monarch is some piece of work. trust me on this. the elc site pics do not do it justice, as the fit [unique to monarchs]and the hides are quite remarkable. imho

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
i have some of chappys a-2s, and each is nicer then the next. that said, i would like to draw your attention to garys new monarch. this new monarch is some piece of work. trust me on this. the elc site pics do not do it justice, as the fit [unique to monarchs]and the hides are quite remarkable. imho

Victor, you must have lucky in the hide chosen for your ELC Monarch. I handled several of Gary's new Monarchs at Duxford back in the summer, but found the leather to be too thick and not particularly close in character to the hh used on original Monarchs. Perhaps you can post some pics of your new Monarch and you wearing it so we can see how it differs from the example on the site.

smoos

bseal said:
No, but new pattern, new leather A-1 on the horizon. :cool:
Any idea which pattern JC's new A-1 is going to be based on? I know the earlier ones were based on a Dubow (assume 27798, but I'm not sure).

Glad to hear he's got more capeskin coming. It will be interesting to see if it differs much from his "old" cape.

handworn

airfrogusmc said:
I'm pretty fond of my 1939 Werber. That is and was my choice.

Mine too.

I wonder when JC is going to come out with that never-before-seen item, a repro of Cooper's only contract. I think it'll happen eventually.

CBI

expect some other contract(s) soon. Not many left he has not done so not hard to guess. expect some non A-2 leather military jacket(s) as well.............. ;)

Weasel_Loader

I'd have to say my favorite contract is the SAT. Very unique. For the traditional A-2, I'd have to go for the Rough Wear 27752.