• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

one for the nylon guys (SR-71 and X-15 related, too)

SuinBruin

Came across this in my search for info on whether there was any patch issued for the X-15 program and thought y'all might find it of some interest.

The jacket is an L-2B if I'm not mistaken? (I may very well be, I'm not up on the details of the nylon jackets.)

SR-71-950-01.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
SuinBruin said:
Came across this in my search for info on whether there was any patch issued for the X-15 program and thought y'all might find it of some interest.

The jacket is an L-2B if I'm not mistaken? (I may very well be, I'm not up on the details of the nylon jackets.)

Sure looks like an L-2B but according to John Chapman's CD, they were sage green - don't know when the change to gray was introduced or if they were given a different designation.

Cheers,
Bill French

Atticus

Its an L-2B. The early ones were a greyer shade of sage...just like MA-1s. Zipper box flap. Epaulettes with blueish snaps. Pocket flaps. Brass zipper. No O2 tab. Can't tell about the decal, but I'll bet its there. I'm guessing that jacket is pre-1960, but not much so.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bfrench said:
Sure looks like an L-2B but according to John Chapman's CD, they were sage green - don't know when the change to gray was introduced or if they were given a different designation.

This picture might better represent the colour ...

allen_nelson.jpg

oose

Great shot, thanks for posting, I'll add it to my blog! (shameless plug! :roll: :roll: )

stu

deand

allen_nelson.jpg
[/quote]

Slightly off topic, I love the blue and white cap the guy on the left has on. :)

dean

Willy McCoy

SuinBruin said:

The earlier series I have are slate gray more than green. Great photo! That L-2B looks well worn. I like the X-15 patch and Bulova "astronaut" watch. I would guess this jacket is the last series before the orange lining was employed.

deand

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Great example of a nice Lid Dean!!

Thank you! Actually I prefer the slate grayish sage (to the greener kind), on those early L-2Bs and MA-1s. Anyone else?

dean

herk115

SuinBruin said:

SR-71-950-01.jpg

Okay, so I'm a few years late making this reply...

I just spent a little bit of time helping Michelle Evans with her recently published book "The X-15 Rocket Plane: Flying the First Wings into Space."

Though at least two after the fact X-15 patches were made in the years following termination of the X-15 program, there was apparently never an "official" X-15 patch produced or worn during the program. Sad omission.

The above said, I'd like to be proven wrong, so I'll have something to hunt for! ;)

SuinBruin

The original photo was moved or deleted, and I thought it was cool enough to include so I'm linking back to the copy on Stu's blog. Thanks Stu!

sr-71-950-01.jpg

herk115

SuinBruin said:
The original photo was moved or deleted, and I thought it was cool enough to include so I'm linking back to the copy on Stu's blog. Thanks Stu!

Exactly the proof I was looking for. For once I'm glad I was wrong. :lol: Of course, do we know if this was an "official" patch or something the crews had made? I know official approval, or lack thereof, didn't always stop us from wearing something on our flight jackets.

herk115

SuinBruin said:

Do you have any gouge on who those guys might be, and when the picture was taken? The guy in the pressure suit looks a little like a young Fitz Fulton. It's also the first time I've seen anyone wear an L-2 over their blues. I post date the L-2, but we were not allowed to wear our Nomex jackets with our blues.

oose

Hi,
I've been looking for this to and the only other image I can find is Major Richardson again (Chief of Physiology Lab) and Yeager with Lockheed NF-104, 1963.

All the best
Stu