• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On my military bicycle

Stony

Here's a pic taken today on my newly acquired WWII Columbia military bicycle. Tanker jacket, coveralls, A-3 cap and gloves are WWII originals. A little rainy, but a fun ride with my vintage bike club.

milbikeinuniform.jpg

Hamsterbear

That is very, very nice. I know you were looking for one for a while....where did you find this one, and did you have it restored?

Stony

Here is the 12th BG logo on the rear fender.

milbike4.jpg

I live by McChord AFB (field during WWII), so I decided on the 12th BG as they were stationed at McChord before going overseas. I'm also going to make a sign that says something like "Maintenance Shop" or "Motor Pool" that will hang from the frame behind the yoke, but I haven't decided on exactly what yet.

This bike is restored, so that is why it looks new. All I need to complete it is the air pump with bracket and the tool pouch. It's a 1940 frame and it came from the mid-west.

I got a lot of looks and compliments on it today and I plan on doing some events with it, so it's going to be fun.

Clark J

That is so freak'in sweet!!! I want one!!Give more details,,,make,can you get parts..where did you find it???

Stony

I want one!!Give more details,,,make,can you get parts..where did you find it???

This is not a military frame, but it has lots of original military bike parts on it. It's a 1940 Columbia frame and the rear fender, sprocket, kickstand, handle bars, grips and chain guard are original military.

Columbia and Huffman made bikes for the military during WWII and they are distinctly marked. Before they started making bikes, the military would take civilian bike they bought or that were donated and paint them up. I recently tried to buy one of those civilian bikes that had history in the AAF and then the USAF, but they guy wouldn't budge on it.

Columbia made both a men's and women's bike while Huffman just made a men's. Columbia bikes serial numbers start with a MG, MF or MC followed by a six digit number. Huffman serial numbers start with an "H" or "D" followed by a five digit number and have an actual date stamped next to that(1942, 1943 or 1944).

Original military bikes are hard to find and expensive in original condition. Restored originals are all over the board on pricing, so it's hard to say what the norm is for those.

Here is a link to the guy that built my bike. They come in three different models and pricing. A good guy that knows bicycles and is very easy to work with.

http://www.bergerwerke.com/index.html

Roughwear

What a great photo Stony. I love the Wartime bike and all you need now is a B-17 in the background to service! ;)

Peter Graham

Very impressive Stony. The whole set up looks fantastic. I'm very impressed that you own an original tanker jacket. That's one that's been on my wish list for many years. Really beat up ones are not too difficult to find, but a good one, that's a different matter.

Stony

I'm very impressed that you own an original tanker jacket. That's one that's been on my wish list for many years. Really beat up ones are not too difficult to find, but a good one, that's a different matter.

My tanker doesn't have a label, but it's a good size 44. Minor soiling with a few small nips in the knits.

Cobblers161

Get off and milk it!

Looking good Stony, I quite fancy a vintage ride myself, I've been looking around for past couple of years but the prices are horrendous.

You've done some excellent resto on the frame and topped off with the Tanker it looks the business!
Well done ir!