• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omega Planet Ocean

A

Anonymous

I know there's a lot of fellow watch nuts on here and so rather than garner an opinion from watch forum members who don't quite see EVERYTHING with a flight jackets perspective, I'd like to ask if anyone here has an xl Planet Ocean and what's your opinion on them please. Especially rubber or steel bracelet and red/orange or white numbers. I'm looking at the one with the black bezel BTW.

Happy New Year all !!

Dave :ugeek:

siddhartha

Administrator
Hi,

I have the 42mm PO with black bezel/orange numbers. It is a fantastic watch, and very accurate. I am a big Omega fan, and really enjoy this one-it's my favorite of their divers.

Wears great, and can go with just about everything. Some like the rubber strap, I prefer bracelet, but that's a personal choice.

Don't think you can go wrong with one of those

Chris

A

Anonymous

Thanks Chris. It should make a good second string to my 27 year old GMT I. I've got wrists of 8" so the larger model should look o.k.

mazeta

I purchased one as a present and I also opted for the 42mm model on bracelet. The 45mm XL case is just too massive for most mere mortals! If I can nitpick one negative aspect, it would be the helium escape valve. I think it's a useless gimmick and the watch would look much nicer without that protrusion.

watchmanjimg

Totally agree about the helium valve--everyone else uses an automatic valve that doesn't require an extra crown, and interestingly Omega's own Seamaster GMT doesn't have the valve even though it states the same WR rating as the Seamaster Pro diver. An unnecessary festoonment that can get knocked clean off with a sharp blow.

siddhartha

Administrator
watchmanjimg said:
Totally agree about the helium valve--everyone else uses an automatic valve that doesn't require an extra crown, and interestingly Omega's own Seamaster GMT doesn't have the valve even though it states the same WR rating as the Seamaster Pro diver. An unnecessary festoonment that can get knocked clean off with a sharp blow.

The WR rating has NOTHING to do with the helium relief valve-it's intended for saturation diving. You can have a 300M rated dive watch with a helium valve/seal, and a 600M rated watch without-the valve is independent of the rating.

I agree the Omega valve style is a bit less elegant perhaps than the automatic valves, but they both do the same thing, and the Omega valve cover isn't really that exposed, as it sits against the wrist. I kind of like it, for the interest it adds to that side of the case, but I understand why people may not

I've never had a problem with that aspect of the PO-which is a fantastic watch

Chris

A

Anonymous

So c'mon then Chris, give us a photo of it on said wrist please !

siddhartha

Administrator
This will have to do for now-I'm at work, and have no wristshot:

PO.jpg

Chris

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Chris.

I'm caught between the orange/red numerals and the plain white ones. Both look good.

rainguy

I have a 42mm PO, but with the orange bezel. For me, the black bezel makes the PO look pretty much like a Rolex Submariner or, for that matter, almost every other "dive" watch of which there are dozens from Swiss Army right up the food chain. But the orange numerals with the black bezel do give the watch a distinctive look.

Tommer45

I have the PO in 45.5mm, white numbers and the black bezel (very Submariner looking as someone else mentioned). It's on the bracelet which I like and is very comfortable, but every now and then I'll put it on an older leather Panerai strap of mine (Panerai's lugs are 24mm, if I remember correctly the PO is around 23mm, so the strap fits nicely). I absolutely love the watch and you will be totally happy with it. I myself like the look of the helium valve crown.. I feel it adds a nice touch to the tough dive watch look of the thing.

Photobucket isn't working for me right now but when it does I'll get some pics of mine up.

Tommer

MikeyB-17

I tried one on when they first came out-the big one in orange, although I think I'd struggle to choose between that and the black-very nice, but I have to say I prefer the original Seamaster, particularly in black. Rather liked the latest Bond Seamaster, except for the silly 007 second hand.

I'm an Omega fan too. I have the old Bond 2531.80. I would say with 8" wrists you'll love the big Planet Ocean. Great watches. I dig the orange, too. I encouraged a small wristed buddy to try one on, and the bigger PO swallowed his wrist- but he's probably got 6.5" wrists. He went with a black older style Seamaster Pro and was happy.

Tommer45

Photobucket's working today...

Planet Ocean in 45.5. I also have a Seamaster Chrono, but it doesn't blow me away like the PO.. I just love it. The second I saw it on the cover of Watchtime back in 2005 I knew I had to figure out how I could get one.
IMG_0082.jpg

But occasionally I just need to kick it Magnum, pi style!
DSC01177.jpg

To paraphrase Rocky Balboa.. "If you wanna have a good time, you gotta have a good watch."

Tommer

markc

I don't know - slaves to fashion the lot of you (joke!).

You want to try something a little more unusual like this:
arktis3-1.jpg

or this:
PICT6480-2.jpg

Although I've done the Omega thing too with this:
s2b.jpg

and this:
01200772f1a6552520c42cc7fbf2b37b2c97d6f22451fce7c731a83a.jpg

Seriously, I quite like the PO (but not that HUGE one that Tommer has!). I still prefer the old Seamasters though.

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the photos guys. Lots of food for thought.
Tommer, you're a man after my own heart. I have the GMT I but I do need the Magnum ring and Ferrari for full effect !

The PO deal fell through - guy had second thoughts (or received a better offer :x ).

Got my eyes on something else which I will post about if it all works out ...........BUT a PO xl is still on the cards at some point.

Dave