• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old 1940s Faces AAF

ZuZu

These are 1940s guys in their 20s and maaaaybe a few in their early 30s. Look at those faces. I can't find one "Masters of the Air" (the series to be) face in the whole bunch. They look different than any 20 year old today. Farms, cities, universities- they produced a whole different kind of American.

Field_Jackets_A2s.jpg

B-Man2

Hey Zu
Trying my best to see your photos but somethings FU with the photo posting here.
Sorry

mulceber

Eh, I don't think it's that. I've taught college students in the past. The people in the picture mostly look like them, albeit with 1940s haircuts. I think the difference you're seeing between the original photos and the MotA previews is due to the fact that Hollywood promotes the careers of people who are good-looking.

ZuZu

To me they look a little bit older than 20! War took its toll on the faces .
Exactly my point. They look older just to start because life for most people was tougher and more outdoorsey than today. They weren't 20 pounds overweight. Add to that the stress of combat flying and you get 35 year old looking 20+ year olds.
They look just like most modern white Americans to me....
Really? Where do you live? I live near liberal Berkeley where people are probably more in shape than is usual in the USA and I don't see young people that look like this. Young people in shape yes but bigger and beefyer and younger looking. If I go to Oroville or even parts of Contra Costa county the only young white people that look this gaunt are methheads. We are a nation of big people very different IMO to the WW2 generation. Sizes bigger with less actual day to day stress which these people had even before volunteering.
Eh, I don't think it's that. I've taught college students in the past. The people in the picture mostly look like them, albeit with 1940s haircuts. I think the difference you're seeing between the original photos and the MotA previews is due to the fact that Hollywood promotes the careers of people who are good-looking.
Many kids today have 1940s haircuts. I worked at UC Berkeley for 21 years and I don't remember students looking like that! They looked like little kids. These guys (and WW2 guys in general) look far more mature.

Last edited:

bseal

These are 1940s guys in their 20s and maaaaybe a few in their early 30s. Look at those faces. I can't find one "Masters of the Air" (the series to be) face in the whole bunch. They look different than any 20 year old today. Farms, cities, universities- they produced a whole different kind of American.

View attachment 118729

Right?!

And Ava is only about 23 years old here.

IMG_1762.jpeg

Southoftheborder

From the 1700s

“Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt…”

Plus ca change.

Last edited: