• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, so the navy deck zips are all out....

Tim P

I would like to discuss muy options now that I find that ELC, HPA and a bunch of others have sold out of Navy deck zips from buzz Rickson and a number of people have rung around on my behalf trying to get one from Japanese stockists my options are as follows:
1)Wait for one second hand
2) wait For Pike brothers to make one..
3)Wait til next fall/ autumn for HPA /ELC restock of whatever Buzz are producing
4) Buy a Navy deck hook jacket which is still available in my size.

I am keen to hear the pros and cons of each option, especially the last one. I have never considered the deck hook because the fastening seems too utilitarian for everyday use for me. That said, they were issued from about 1943 and much of the use I have in mind for it is Living History alongside wear around and about. So I am agonising over whether to take the plunge (there is an event in March '11 where I would like to wear a deck jacket.) and learn to love the fastening on the jacket..Or substitute something and be patient for once in my life, especially at £375.

what do we all think?

I would like to add that a Blue early N1 wouldnt be the worst mistake I have ever made. I could then start saving for the autumn.

EmergencyIan

Well, I can't tell you about the last option. However, I can tell you that I own the Buzz Rickson N1 Deck Jacket. It's their original one..not the more recent weathered versions. In fact, I wore it to run a couple of errands today.

Of course, it's very well made and the cut is very trim/slim fitting just like the WWII era original. I would like an original WWII era Deck Jacket, but finding one in really good condition is pretty difficult..and then in your size. Buzz Rickson's version is pretty accurate except the Alpaca lining more closely represents the 1960's USN remake of the WWII era N1 Deck Jacket; as does the "USN" stencil on the left breast of the jacket. There are no periods after each letter like you would find on the WWII era deck jacket. The only other differences are the size tag which is which is: small, medium, large, etc. as opposed to numbered sizes; and the thong on the zipper is the same fabric as the shell of the jacket as opposed to being leather like you find on a WWII era Deck Jacket (Again something you find on the '60s version).

Even with those few differences, I really love my Buzz rickson Deck Jacket. The only difference that bother's me, at all, is the "USN" stencling. Maybe Rickson is planning a more accurate version for next fall or even this coming spring.

- Ian

Tim P

It does occur to me that the N1 series may lack the plastic interlining of the deck zip style and so may be more comfortable to wear.
Am I right?

Tim P

bought a Blue N1 and love it. also sourced a deck zip in 44 from Hinoya which means no lengthy wait from ELC/HPA..price comparable to buying from either of the above. :)

Tim P

I am not a fan of the hook design, however practical for nautical purposes. That is a nice jacket but not for me..