• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oiling a crusty g1 collar

jeroen

Everyone with an old g1 or other flight jacket with a mouton collar knows this problem: you can easyly treat the flat surface of a jacket but you cant treat the furry collar... Last night, however, I've been a real clever bunny if I may say so myself.

The collar on my 7823 contract was stif and hard and has lost a couple of little patches on its corners. In order to get some leather treatment to the actual surface of the leather you would have to pull the whole collar apart or get the mouton fur totally greasy and messed-up.

Unless... you use a seringe with a long and wide needle on it. What you do is suck up the dressing with it and then stick the needle under the fur, parallel to the leather underneath. You don't puncture the leather, the needle just rest on top of it. You then gently pull back the needle over the leather whilst squeezing a little leather dressing out of the seringe. Reapeat this with about 1 cm intervalls so the whole collar gets a turn. This way the dressing gets under the fur straight onto the dry leather. Leave it for the night to get sucked into the leather and hey presto; stiffnes is all gone (and hopefully also the tendency to shed hair... we'll wait and see...). I use rapide leather dressing but I suppose it'll work with anything liquid.

Anyway, this is probably something you jacketheads figured out many moons ago for yourselves but I wanted to share it nonetheless.

Jeroen