• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offline offer...again?

ciddu

It happens quite often - some sellers even use to close their auctions if the bidding doesn't go as high as they expect... really disappointing.

ausreenactor

G'day!

The seller elected to accept an offer as the reserve had not been hit, with days to run.
A chance to make a counter offer would have been nice.. I was the high bidder and had
indicated my intent to bid above anyone else at that stage.

Having just decided to start investing again before I head overseas the war profits had
been opened up. Dabbled into vintage leather for the first time with the original Bronco
from Aero (Ken was GREAT to work with) and its magnificence will surely abate any of my
frustrations. Can't win them all...at least I 'secured' the main effort for the year so far...

Gets frustrating when you let other items slide to focus the funds though. Had an ATF M41
that I gave up on...and some other little items.

Tough times forcing people's hands I would assume... At least the listing was not flagged
here to the forum and THEN pulled. That really rubs against the grain.

All good...bigger fish to fry at the moment..

Couchy

havocpaul

Happening more and more, Couchy. To me too recently, like you say, you sometimes hold off bidding/buying other things in the hope the item wins through only to find the seller ends the auction and cancels your bid...but it seemed when this habit has been discussed before here, it is only you and me that thinks this stinks.

ciddu

havocpaul said:
Happening more and more, Couchy. To me too recently, like you say, you sometimes hold off bidding/buying other things in the hope the item wins through only to find the seller ends the auction and cancels your bid...but it seemed when this habit has been discussed before here, it is only you and me that thinks this stinks.

Yes, there was a long debate about it, and most of the forum members seem to find it a perfecly legitimate practice. Personally I find it very annoying, and don't bid anymore to sellers that use to do it.

oose

HI Couchy,
I too am getting rather agitated with sellers on ebay, I really wanted this cloth jacket and it was listed last year only to be outbid, which was no problem that the way it is, but then it turned up again a month later for sale again, and on going back and checking the first auction noticed that the guy who outbid me, bidding pattern was a bit odd, so shill bidding, I reported him to ebay and the second auction was pulled. Bloody annoying if he wanted a set price why not just put a reserve. Thant's my rant over, still annoyed about this one!

Second listing that was pulled
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150975429401? ... 1423.l2649

Better luck next time!
All the best
stu

stevetfire

It seems to be the bloody norm these days unfortunately, I'm very wary of low start prices on high value items for obvious reasons

havocpaul

I have recently reported two 'serial offenders' to eBay where it is clear they remove items and cancel bids because of offers off-eBay, not that I expect they'll act on it. Have a growing list of sellers I don't bother bidding with anymore. I even recently was selling a jacket and kept getting request to end it early, when I told him 'no' he became increasingly abusive, claiming it was for his father who was a WW2 vet and calling me a 'loser' in the end! He's blocked now :lol:

Rutger

I noticed quite a few auctions over the past couple months that specifically state that the seller has the object for sale elsewhere as well, and may end the auction early.
I suppose it's sort of accepted by ebay then, and at least you're pre-warned :evil: .