• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Of the use of the A2 jacket in the Army during WWII

Adama36

Found a 4-5 pictures issued by the US war department about tires (yes, tires) - It mostly shows their use and abuse; and how they are replaced . While most of the pictures show mechanics wearing HBTs, I was surprised to see this one with a US army guy wearing an A2 jacket. Now several questions: Could the guy be USAAF and not your regular US army soldier (I now they were under the same umbrella during the war)? Was it common for A2s to be issued outside of the USAAF (who said Oddball?)?

thumbnail_IMG_2781.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2782.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2783.jpg

B-Man2

Found a 4-5 pictures issued by the US war department about tires (yes, tires) - It mostly shows their use and abuse; and how they are replaced . While most of the pictures show mechanics wearing HBTs, I was surprised to see this one with a US army guy wearing an A2 jacket. Now several questions: Could the guy be USAAF and not your regular US army soldier (I now they were under the same umbrella during the war)? Was it common for A2s to be issued outside of the USAAF (who said Oddball?)?

View attachment 42258View attachment 42259View attachment 42260
There could be a number of reasons and ways this soldier had an A2 jacket. Probably too many reasons to list but here’s a few possibilities;
1. Many guys traded items of importance to get specialized clothing . Cigarettes and war souvenirs among the trade items. It would have been difficult for a USAAF guy to get a war souvenir like a Lugar or P,38 pistol , but infantry guys used them as trade bait. So he could have traded to get it.
2. This guy could have been in the USAAF and then transferred out to a mechanized Division and took his jacket with him.
3. He could have simply stolen one someplace. “scrounging” during WWII was a pretty accepted way of getting things you didn’t normally have access to.
So basically there were a bunch of different ways this guy could have acquired that A2 jacket .
cheers

B-Man2

But you guys confirm that A2 were only issued to USAAF guys, correct?
Well once again, there was nothing set in stone . The answer to your question is yes they were “Intended “ to be issued to USAAF guys but depending on a variety of circumstances, one being Rank, a person outside of the normal distribution chain could get A2 jackets. For instance General Patton wore a B-3 and he was a tank guy. General MC Arthur wore an A2. US Army Airborne Paratrooper officers were entitled to wear A2 jackets . Glider pilots who were actually infantry troops wore A2 jackets . So there you go.
Cheers

mulceber

Yep, under normal circumstances. But then, things were chaotic in war, and sometimes people got issues unusual gear. And as Burt said, there was trading.

Also, let’s not forget the upper officers, who could seemingly wear whatever they liked, so long as it looked suitably military. Think Patton in his B-3, and MacArthur in his multiple A-2s. Though that’s obviously not what’s happening here.

edit: Burt, I think you and I were sharing thoughts!

B-Man2

Here’s another example of how the Intended distribution chain would get “Modified”
Think of what we know as “Tanker Jackets” originally designed as part of the top part of a winter tankers suit with heavy duty overalls. That was the original purpose, but once the jackets were put into service, that all changed and hundreds of Infantry guys and USAAF Pilots started acquiring Tanker Jackets . They became pretty much common place by that time and they just started to get issued to the ground troops particularly the officers and non commissioned officers like sergeants etc

Adama36

Thanks guys for sharing.
I have seen a lot of pics about tanker jackets being used across branches but nothing like that with A2s . Paton and McArthur are so high up in the hierarchy that they don't really count.

mulceber

Paton and McArthur are so high up in the hierarchy that they don't really count.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. They're an extreme example, but they illustrate the point that there weren't hard and fast rules when it came to issuing uniforms. Other people might be issued unusual items. Patton and MacArthur were in a position to ensure that they were issued unusual items.

B-Man2

Thanks guys for sharing.
I have seen a lot of pics about tanker jackets being used across branches but nothing like that with A2s . Paton and McArthur are so high up in the hierarchy that they don't really count.
Are you discounting the airborne infantry officers, lieutenants and above and Infantry gliders pilots, who were issued them? They weren’t high up but they were authorized to wear them. I guess what we’ve been trying to tell you is ,that there were no hard fast rules as to how someone like the guy in your photo could acquire one. Things like an A2 could always be had if you knew the right people or if you were a rear escelon guy working in supply or unloading equipment in supply depots for a couple of cartoons of cigarettes or a P.38 pistol or a Luger pistol.

Last edited:

Adama36

these 2 guys were like royalty, they probably could do whatever they want back then...

Maybe worth a thread though: "People outside of USAAF, and other than Paton and McArthur, wearing flight jackets during WWII"

mulceber

these 2 guys were like royalty, they probably could do whatever they want back then...

Maybe worth a thread though: "People outside of USAAF, and other than Paton and McArthur, wearing flight jackets during WWII"

See my previous post. Them being "like royalty" afforded them the opportunity to make into a sure thing what would occasionally happen by chance to other people.

Members online

Latest posts