• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odds and Ends at the Hangar ( CAF III )

kiltie

Finally, here is some of the stuff on display at the little museum in the CAF Central Texas Wing hangar in San Marcos, Texas. The displays have fewer big "set piece" types of things and more...ephemera. Lots of pocket computers and personal items, as well as a lot of models of various AC.

IMG_9326_zpsc308a9e3.jpg

IMG_9313_zps776e08b9.jpg

IMG_9312_zps8ee3fd3d.jpg

IMG_9316_zps1dfff6fd.jpg

IMG_9311_zpsf379179f.jpg

IMG_9304_zps120e11f2.jpg

IMG_9320_zps8960a74e.jpg

IMG_9315_zpsa7bdd170.jpg

IMG_9334_zps6cab572c.jpg

Details on jacket above:

IMG_9337_zps4e075f60.jpg

IMG_9336_zpse661be2e.jpg

IMG_9335_zps58364818.jpg

IMG_9307_zpsd3cb5d86.jpg

This was described as a full length Navy flying coat -

IMG_9321_zps0d182c8e.jpg

IMG_9322_zpsa6560804.jpg

IMG_9323_zps136dfc71.jpg

IMG_9325_zps78108fc2.jpg

IMG_9327_zpsd79053d6.jpg

And of course there's tones more, but this gives you an idea. The museum and shop seems to be run by the guys who work on and crew the aircraft, so it's not what you'd call a top of the line affair. In a way, it makes it that much cooler though, I suppose, since it's got kind of a clubhouse vibe.
So, if you ever make it to Central Texas, NUMBER ONE: see the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, and NUMBER TWO, this place. Both within an hour and change of San Antonio or Austin. Hopefully I'll make it up to Fort Worth ( four or five hrs drive ) and see the big CAF hangar there within the next couple of months.

Skip

Nice work Kiltie, really liking those details shots, and nice chit. Reading a book at the moment about PR jobs, so its great to see a PR camera there too.

kiltie

Skip said:
Nice work Kiltie, really liking those details shots, and nice chit. Reading a book at the moment about PR jobs, so its great to see a PR camera there too.

Thanks.
They had three or for more different cameras, too. I thought I'd gotten a picture, but that seems not to be the case. Sadly, I didn't bring my polarized lens dumaflunkie, so there's a lot of glare on the stuff in the cases.
As I alluded to in the OP, the display is almost more like a mass of stuff just accumulated, rather than what you'd call an actual museum. It's definitely secondary to the aircraft. I'd really like to get up there and see what I can do to help out.

kiltie

dmar836 said:
Be careful. That's a trap!

HAR!
Yeah - they're not shy about trying to get you to join the club. But I can honestly say, and what I told them, I'm not gonna get involved with something I can't seriously dedicate time to. I've wanted to get into it in one form or another for many years ( I first saw the Yellow Rose about 23 or so years ago: the pin-up wasn't wearing a vest back then and people weren't terrified of saying Confederate Air Force...sigh ) but expect it to be a few more before I can putter around for long hours with those old timers.

herk115

dmar836 said:
Be careful. That's a trap!

Yeah. I learned that here in California with the Minter Field Air Museum. "Hey, if you spend a year buffing our aircraft into shape by hand, and if your hand isn't amputated by the end of the year, we *may* give you one ten minute P-51 ride."

And when the promised year is up: "Oh, well, we really don't have time to give rides..."

Fool me once. Never again. That's why I've never given even a second's serious consideration to CAF.

dmar836

That navy coat is an officer's coat. I have one worn by the Captain of the USS Augusta during the war.