• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd 'RAF' Jacket Identification

Louis

Hi,

I am unsure about where to post this thread so I have decided to post it here (Apologies if this is the wrong section).
I recently acquired this jacket and I wasn't able to identify who made it and when. It needs a good amount of TLC to restore the leather but I am hesistant to do anything for fear of damaging the painted on decal on the back.
I did note the RAF patch and the patch named "Danton Airbase", however, the RAF patches stitching seems untidy. Anyone able to give me a hand with this. I am stumped?
Images below:

20230430_160245.jpg
20230430_160217.jpg
20230430_160251.jpg
20230430_160311.jpg

B-Man2

Hi,

I am unsure about where to post this thread so I have decided to post it here (Apologies if this is the wrong section).
I recently acquired this jacket and I wasn't able to identify who made it and when. It needs a good amount of TLC to restore the leather but I am hesistant to do anything for fear of damaging the painted on decal on the back.
I did note the RAF patch and the patch named "Danton Airbase", however, the RAF patches stitching seems untidy. Anyone able to give me a hand with this. I am stumped?
Images below:

View attachment 108463View attachment 108465View attachment 108467View attachment 108469
Are there any labels or marks inside the pockets or lining? While it’s patched to look like a military jacket I suspect that this is a commercially made jacket for civilian use .

johnwayne

The ‘RAF patch is a poor copy/repro and certainly not official RAF issued - nor is the jacket! RAF was not allowed to patch/paint jackets unlike USAAF - this looks like a well battered civilian purchase that someone has attempted to ‘militarise’ it with little research or knowledge. Sorry, hope you didn’t pay too much for it?

Louis

I had a feeling there was something wrong about it when I looked at it, but due to its condition, I guess I wasn't skeptical enough.
It wasnt a cheap jacket by any standards, especially considering its condition, but alas I gave it a gamble as it was unusual. Regardless, thanks for confirming my suspicions were on the right track.
Although knowing this now, the decal on the back of the jacket still throws me off. Its a C47 Dakota with the gold(?) lettering at the bottom of the decal reading "35 missions". There is some more text that is harder to read but I dont have the know how to try and read/recover whats faded away.
20230429_181657.jpg

Smithy

Some civvie, thought up jacket where someone has sewn on some dodgy patches. The wings (which are dreadful and completely inaccurate for actual RAF wings) for example have the Kings Crown and yet the style of jacket is a post-1952 civvie jacket. The Dakota artwork is a dead giveaway that it was originally a civvie "bomber" jacket.

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news but it's a bad hotch-potch.

Micawber