• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd jacket on eBay...WW2?

dmar836

Nice grouping but appears priced as if it was a contract jacket. Authentic for sure but not as desirable.
JMO,
Dave

unclegrumpy

dmar836 said:
Nice grouping but appears priced as if it was a contract jacket. Authentic for sure but not as desirable.
JMO,
I agree with Dave, but would push it a little father....this jacket could easily be a something the vet put together and wore just after the war....which is what I think it likely is....though it is hard to say for sure one way or the other. Regardless, this is way over priced.

I would wager the jacket was made late 40s / early 50s by a company that once manufactured A2s. The combination of the WW2 materials really support the value & history of the patch, not the jacket. Good looking coat though...even though the price is about 10X inflated here!

Showing pictures of one era + selling a jacket from another era = highly misleading!

a2jacketpatches

UG, tell me what you think about the other stuff he's got listed. A good FB rating on some high dollar items tells me he's a reputable dealer, maybe high priced, but reputable and not out to mislead or deceive. While this is not an issued jacket, it is still a very cool item.

dujardin

i don't discuss about the age of this jacket ww2 or just pos war

but i like this one

really nice

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
UG, tell me what you think about the other stuff he's got listed. A good FB rating on some high dollar items tells me he's a reputable dealer, maybe high priced, but reputable and not out to mislead or deceive. While this is not an issued jacket, it is still a very cool item.
My initial reaction to this lot was that it likely is a legitimate grouping from an estate. I like the paper and other goodies, and have seen similar groupings over the years from enlisted guys who were attached to Squadrons, but not in positions that would have rated a flight jacket....in this case, a photo interpreter or a guy working in a dark room are good examples....who after the war put their stuff on civilian jackets to commemorate their service.

To zero in on this one, I think one would have to look at the pictures, letters, and other things to get a feel for who the guy was. I'd also want to look hard at the jacket to see how long the patch had been on there.

As far as the seller, I first took him for vintage clothing guy who maybe did not really know. However, your question caused me to look at his other auctions. He currently has a Vietnam era G-1 up with what appears to be fake leather patch on it. That said, in looking at his past auctions, he also has some nice original stuff listed, but at really big prices.

That all makes me nervous, because the jacket we have been discussing is a $75 to $150 jacket without the patch, and it starts to make me wonder if he got the patch loose with the paper, and added it to the jacket to make a "group".

Anyway, I have no idea of what he is up to or his intentions, but his ludicrous price seems to me to be tip off that he is looking to catch a fish.

KGr_Hq_NHJ_0_FH6p_S2fo6_BSGU8_g_Lrg_60_12.jpg
KGr_Hq_ZHJEUFH9_FCZo_E7_BSGU8y7_F_60_12.jpg

JDAM

The guy has been around for years and years, at least back the late 90's buying (mostly) and selling (rarely) some extremely high end bits and pieces. At one point he purchased an awful lot of original wartime aaf patches inc. a fair amount very high end and expensive AVG stuff. For a year or two in the early 00s he purchased almost every high end quality AAF patch that was up on Ebay. I remember getting outbid by him on many occasions. He paid top dollar. Given his history I'd give him benefit of the doubt. He might just be unloading his bottom shelf stuff and even that he probably paid a little too much for!

unclegrumpy

JDAM said:
He might just be unloading his bottom shelf stuff and even that he probably paid a little too much for!
Yes, I think that looks to possibly be the case. However, I don't want to see anybody I know pay for his past mistakes.

dmar836

Nobody assumed the seller built this jacket(initially) and whether it is a period item or not isn't up to the seller - that's just history. Just because he may be legit does not make this a wartime-worn/assembled jacket. Civi jackets weren't unseen but comparatively rare. Without a pic I wouldn't be swayed. One can never make it more true than it is now unless somehow wartime pics appear elsewhere proving one made a good buy. Unlikely.
High asking price for it, even if it was.
Without period pics, it can't be valued as more than a tribute jacket - except by the uninformed which is what such high entry prices attempt to attract IMO.
JMO,
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Bottom line, not accusing anyone of anything but can't assume the best either. Something sketchy like this has to have a period photo to back it up. I've seen plent of vet applied post war combinations. But I do maintain that I like it.

unclegrumpy

I think the big disconnect is the price. You are basically buying the patch and paper stuff, and the jacket is essentially a throw in, because it is hard to say if the vet wore it or not....and even if he did, it is highly unlikely it was while he was in the service.

IMO, this lot is worth somewhere around a fourth of his asking price....and that is the real issue here. I may be being a bit too brutal, but I don't really think so.