• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon..

Micawber

Am I the only one who does not go much on nylon and similar fabrics and garments, including flight jackets made from the stuff?

I don't like the look of it, I don't like the feel of it.

Will I be burned at the VLJ stake or put in solitary for uttering such sacrilegious words?

B-Man2

Ok .... I’ll step into this mine field o_O
I think that nylon was a natural progression for the military for fabric analysis and use . Once the USAAF became the USAF and they became their own service I think they wanted to completely break away from anything that had to do with the USAAF . In that regard a lot of R& D was done on alternative materials of which Nylon was one . I remember going to the Quartermasters Museum in Virginia and seeing displays on different types of materials and how products and equipment were researched for use . As a personal choice , Nylons not so bad particularly as a lighter weight wind breaker type jacket like the L-2b.
Cheers

Persimmon

Everyone is different and we all have our preferences. I don’t have a nylon jacket because I prefer A1 and A2’s.

I don’t think they are that bad. Certainly better than those furry collar leather jackets ( especially those jackets with those plastic looking sleeves ) that folks seem to like !!

I can be burned at the leather fur collar jacket stake !

Officer Dibley

Leather has more durability and there are more folks able to repair them.
Nylon is UV vulnerable. The cut is very short.
B-10 & B-15, being cloth, are even less durable. Some folks are happy to pay big coin for cloth jackets but not for me thanks.
Dave

warguy

For years I felt the same way about nylon, but then realized if I want to wear jackets reminiscent of our aviation history and the brave souls willing to risk their lives in the skies, nylon wasn’t so bad. After all, those who wore nylon moved us toward the space age and defended our country during the jet age. I bought a BR L2A (in some part because it was less expensive than a quality leather one at the time and I have a couple nice leather ones) and quickly realized it was sporty, light weight, trim fitting and flattering. I am also more willing to wear it when our summer rains are threatening. No doubt I too still appreciate a leather A2 or G1 jacket more because I love leather and they patina great, just get better with wear and you can’t really say that about nylon. If I had only one or two jackets, they would no doubt be leather. However now that I have a few leather ones, one or two nylon jackets also have their place firmly rooted in my wardrobe.

Nickb123

Being the frequent passenger of a small plane, I tried all of my jackets up there at one point. The one that seemed to work the best was the Buzz American Pad and Textile L-2. Don’t imagine the L-2As being different.

I really like lightweight nylon repros. They’re wearable and seem to be quite durable as well. Less fuss.

Micawber

Maybe I just a psychological hangup from being forced by my parents to wear some quite appalling nylon jackets and coats back in the day. They all seemed to be too cold or too hot. Fancy subjecting an impressionable young mind to short nylon jackets that had multi coloured striped cuffs and collars and anoraks made of the same stuff.

Just a good humoured thread chaps. Not preaching to the converted or trying to put itching powder in anyone's underwear lol!

ausreenactor

Am I the only one who does not go much on nylon and similar fabrics and garments, including flight jackets made from the stuff?

I don't like the look of it, I don't like the feel of it.

Will I be burned at the VLJ stake or put in solitary for uttering such sacrilegious words?
I have several, because the USAF employed many. Never a go to for wear, but I am of the same mindset as yourself. Too shiny.....

In the early Commando days we could use the CWU-36 jackets as issued. But we located the CVC jackets in the low lustre fabric. Same design.... but less shine.

B-Man2

Nylon jackets look cool depending on what you wear them with . We all talk about Steve MCQueen and the Hilts jacket , but there was a movie called “The Hunter” in which he did for the MA-1 jacket pretty much what he did for the A2.
B4F63FAA-10A2-4132-913C-BB5291410B4E.jpeg

917_k

Nice collection !!
If you don’t mind sharing , who are some of the makers of those jackets . I’m asking because I have a Skyline N-3b and I’ve always thought that was a very good maker for the N-2b and N-3b series . I was wondering what you thought of Skyline .

Thanks! The aim is to acquire every iteration of US Air Force flight jacket & matching suit or trousers. The only thing I’m lacking now is an L-2 & L-2A.

In terms of the N-3, that’s an Albert Turner ‘c’ series jacket. These date from the mid-late 50s and still feature the oxygen mask tab and Air Force insignia. From my limited research it seems Albert Turner was one of the most numerous contracts of this series, with Skyline taking over from the late 50s and beyond. Skyline certainly make very nice jackets.

A little idea in the back of my mind is to start pulling together my research into some sort of resource, detailing the different contract nuances and some photos of the various different jackets. I’m collecting early jet age clothing & equipment, so the nylon jackets are the most interesting for me at the moment.

B-Man2

Thanks! The aim is to acquire every iteration of US Air Force flight jacket & matching suit or trousers. The only thing I’m lacking now is an L-2 & L-2A.

In terms of the N-3, that’s an Albert Turner ‘c’ series jacket. These date from the mid-late 50s and still feature the oxygen mask tab and Air Force insignia. From my limited research it seems Albert Turner was one of the most numerous contracts of this series, with Skyline taking over from the late 50s and beyond. Skyline certainly make very nice jackets.

A little idea in the back of my mind is to start pulling together my research into some sort of resource, detailing the different contract nuances and some photos of the various different jackets. I’m collecting early jet age clothing & equipment, so the nylon jackets are the most interesting for me at the moment.
Thanks for your response . I think that Nylon jackets are an area that a lot of us have a tendency to overlook in favor of leather jackets , but I’ve always liked them . They have a history all their own and because they are often overlooked you used to be able to find some pretty good values out there. Like everything else they are now starting to dry up and prices are on the rise.