• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not just another GW post

greyhound52

HHjackets said:
greyhound52 said:
... he has only been in the production mode for a little less than a year... ELC has been doing this for many years ... John is a one man operation ... It is really an unfair comparsion between him and the other big time repro makers...

the way i see it is:
two jackets are being compared, eastman has been around 20 years or so and goodwear about a year but they both cost around the same price.
once you start selling a product about the same price as another in the market to compete, the person parting with a few hundred $$$ of his hard earned money is not gonna say: "they've only been around for a year, so i shouldn't compare the two".

Agree if you are going to part with that much money than you should compare the product. What I meant was that because John is a one man operation and with a budget much less than any of the other repro makers makes comparing some of his early efforts a bit unfair. Take a look at some early ELC models and BR's etc not what they are today. So they evolved and improved just as John is doing. But these makers have had years to do it and John about a year. I think he has done a heck of job in just one year. He has given the big boys something to think about.

DJS48

Gomez,

The last company I worked for was pretty casual in clothing selection(kahki's, white or blue shirt). I decided to wear an A-2 which brought some negative comments from the chief. However, one month later, he had his own A-2. Casual, no tie and an A-2 is all good.

Regards,
Don

gomez

995GT.jpg

Hacker, This is our C90, got it brand new last year and it has over 1000 hrs on it already...F90's are very cool- the right powerplant all along. Finally the GT has 750shp/side derated....trues 270 kts in the high 20's. Don, I'm glad your CP got it right finally. Nothing goes better with an airplane than a smart A-2.

Hey, does everyone notice subtle detail differences between King Airs? There are many if you look closely, yet they're all correct, all airplanes and they all can fly....now why can't we all just get along?

dadgad

rotenhahn said:
Dagdad:
... that applies also when you like something that someone else doesn't,

Do you have a new production Goodwear made to your specs by John or did you get yours second hand? Do you even have a Goodwear Aero for comparison? Are you comparing your Aero of Scotland to one of John's Aeros? Any originals? If you had a GW Aero, an Aero Aero and an original I guarantee you you'd see the difference in 2 seconds! The GW would be the one with the correct sized epaulets, the correct pocket flap shape, the correct thread, the correct pattern, the covered pocket snaps found on most original Aeros, the correct collar/windflap/zipper intersection and on and on... It's fine to like an Aero of Scotland but never be deceived that it's an actual copy...

I was talking about the leather's quality and the way it was dyed, John agreed.
He told me that was an early production when he hadn't yet refine his dyeing methods, I believe that things are changed know considering the good reviews he is having nowadays but the overall feel that I got from the jacket since it was out of the box didn't satisfy me I gave it to my brother and he rather liked it.

jacketimp

dadgad said:
rotenhahn said:
Dagdad:
... that applies also when you like something that someone else doesn't,

Do you have a new production Goodwear made to your specs by John or did you get yours second hand? Do you even have a Goodwear Aero for comparison? Are you comparing your Aero of Scotland to one of John's Aeros? Any originals? If you had a GW Aero, an Aero Aero and an original I guarantee you you'd see the difference in 2 seconds! The GW would be the one with the correct sized epaulets, the correct pocket flap shape, the correct thread, the correct pattern, the covered pocket snaps found on most original Aeros, the correct collar/windflap/zipper intersection and on and on... It's fine to like an Aero of Scotland but never be deceived that it's an actual copy...

I was talking about the leather's quality and the way it was dyed, John agreed.
He told me that was an early production when he hadn't yet refine his dyeing methods, I believe that things are changed know considering the good reviews he is having nowadays but the overall feel that I got from the jacket since it was out of the box didn't satisfy me I gave it to my brother and he rather liked it.

fair comment.........

from personal experience of a couple of my mates who' s ordered Gw with issues JC was willing to put it right ...so that makes him an hounourable guy!

HHjackets

greyhound52 said:
Agree if you are going to part with that much money than you should compare the product. What I meant was that because John is a one man operation and with a budget much less than any of the other repro makers makes comparing some of his early efforts a bit unfair. Take a look at some early ELC models and BR's etc not what they are today. So they evolved and improved just as John is doing. But these makers have had years to do it and John about a year. I think he has done a heck of job in just one year. He has given the big boys something to think about.

i was talking about the current product too, and you are absolutely right about the:
I think he has done a heck of job in just one year. He has given the big boys something to think about.

i was actually thinking that when i replied to your post, they are looking good, but i thought i keep quiet as i haven't handled one yet.

jacketimp

I think he has done a heck of job in just one year. He has given the big boys something to think about.[/quote]

indeed..............david is runnning rings round em BIG goliaths and all in the space of one year..........

gomez

I got to thinking maybe I got ahead of myself posting this thread. What do I know after owning a few crap jackets and one or two decent ones? So I’m learning and I appreciate hearing what people have to say. I think it’s generally agreed upon that GW is going for historical accuracy to a higher degree than brand X,Y and Z. However well made, good looking and comfortable brand X is it probably won’t favor well when compared with GW along the lines of say, pattern accuracy. I'd like to ask if it has ever been suggested here that a second REPRO section be created on VLJ? Call it REPRO-Extreme or something like that. If you’re interested in jackets that are dead nuts copies of WW2 originals that’s where you go to appreciate them and duke it out about historical accuracy. If the overall fit and finish of a great jacket is what appeals to you and a pocket that's placed 1/2" wide doesn’t get your panties in a bunch, go to the original section. You get tired of one and you go to the other- both on the same page has been a little crowded IMO. :)

jacketimp

gomez said:
I got to thinking maybe I got ahead of myself posting this thread. What do I know after owning a few crap jackets and one or two decent ones? So I’m learning and I appreciate hearing what people have to say. I think it’s generally agreed upon that GW is going for historical accuracy to a higher degree than brand X,Y and Z. However well made, good looking and comfortable brand X is it probably won’t favor well when compared with GW along the lines of say, pattern accuracy. I'd like to ask if has it ever been suggested here that a second REPRO section be created on VLJ? Call it REPRO-Extreme or something like that. If you’re interested in jackets that are dead nuts copies of WW2 originals that’s where you go to appreciate them and duke it out about historical accuracy. If the overall fit and finish of a great jacket is what appeals to you and a pocket that's placed 1/2" wide doesn’t get your panties in a bunch, go to the original section. You get tired of one and you go to the other- both on the same page has been a little crowded IMO. :)

i see where you coming from......i suggested that there be a sperate section for GW...........the rest is HISTORY, as you can see........

airfrogusmc

Then lets all go out and buy mall bomber jackets and call it day. No need to nit pick over details. It looks ok from 100 yards must be ok, huh?

jacketimp

airfrogusmc said:
Then lets all go out and buy mall bomber jackets and call it day. No need to nit pick over details. It looks ok from 100 yards must be ok, huh?

Allen,

no one mention anything about mall jackets...........you know i'm a closet gw fiend!

neh