• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not all jackets are tight US Pilots Great Sailing UK 1944

I am no expert. As a Navy Aircrewman years ago, my G-1 had to fit over a t shirt and flightsuit.

If wearing non flying uniforms, work or dress, the jacket had to fit over a t shirt and another dress shirt. or if was winter a t shirt, black wool USN sweater and work uniform shirt.

In WW2 I would think Aircrew did the same with G-1's or in the case of USAAF an A-2.

Super tight flight jackets are not only non funtional in flying status but make you look silly. IMHO.

Marv

On there other end of the fit scale, my GW RW 27752 labelled size 48 but fits more like a 46 and is still a tad too big personally even after a HWT which has shrunk it down some what.

CBI

Marv - the 27752 fits you really well IMO, not as form fitting, nice drape -

Garylafortuna

The problem with A-2s, unlike the Navy jackets which have a bi-swing back and underarm gussets and therefore offer greater freedom of movement throughout the shoulders and upper arms, is that they are somewhat restrictive and a little shoulder seam overhang and a wider pit to pit measurement is needed to compensate. The way your Rough Wear fits you Marv is about as good as it gets. Heavens, that is one sweet looking A-2.

Smithy

Just my opinion but that fit is a lot better than your 20960 Marv, I reckon that looks a lot better, looks like it'd be more comfortable to move around in.

Robman

I think as Buck pointed as a former aircrewman...skin tight doesn't work. I remember an old post on TFL wherein another former aircrewman said when he was issued a G1 the supply depot asked for the size of their flightsuits and they received a size up in their G1s. Obviously it's not an exact science.

Yes, true in fact. That was where the fit process started. Sometimes up or down depending on manufacture size and or body size. These flight jackets were for operating in aircraft. Regardless of the year, having them too tight defeated the purpose. But I do injoy listening to the "Fashionista's" here.

Last edited:

tibor

It's really about the look... a lot of guys in the war ended up with jackets that may not have fit comfortably, but if you like that look, that's what you're after. I get that. I think everybody likes sleeves that fit, but sometimes you want a trim jacket with jeans and sometimes something with some drape with khakis. It's great there are custom makers who can put you in either (or both) ;)