• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not all jackets are tight US Pilots Great Sailing UK 1944

tibor

Fits were all over the place. Pre-war photos show fits closer to this, but later as all size guys hit the air corp, jackets were all over the place. Jimmy Stewart's looks like he borrowed his from a little brother. He had a trim chest measurement, but that size didn't have the sleeve length he really needed.

Now how you LIKE it to fit, that's different. When a jacket fits right, it doesn't pinch and has some comfort in its range of motion, but agree, it shouldn't be baggy. Very Cinderella-kind of thing. You're particular body may like high arm holes, or may like wider sleeve tops, As you try different contracts, you find some are a good match, some aren't...

Steve27752

13871857_10153962819202669_867719074_n.jpg

Duxford 2016
Photo by Keith Foster.

Bombing IP

Yes that is a good fit , 100% agree .Maybe the sleeves could be shortened a touch but its passable .

BIP

Bombing IP

Fits were all over the place. Pre-war photos show fits closer to this, but later as all size guys hit the air corp, jackets were all over the place. Jimmy Stewart's looks like he borrowed his from a little brother. He had a trim chest measurement, but that size didn't have the sleeve length he really needed.

Now how you LIKE it to fit, that's different. When a jacket fits right, it doesn't pinch and has some comfort in its range of motion, but agree, it shouldn't be baggy. Very Cinderella-kind of thing. You're particular body may like high arm holes, or may like wider sleeve tops, As you try different contracts, you find some are a good match, some aren't...

That said It would of saved me a bunch of money if I spent the day with John Chapman trying on different makers . That way I could get the jacket that fits me best .

BIP

regius

I do not like it, the shoulders droop and the body is too long, obviously from a second rate maker.
Second rate maker? How did you determine that just by the fact it's big on him? It could be an Eastman in the wrong size. Also, is this a historical photo or a modern recreation?

Skyhawk

I think that was a joke for sure. I thought it was funny as heck!

Calling an obvious original a poor reproduction. Pretty funny to me :)

Rutger

The it-should-be-a-tight-fit myth of the A2 (and most/all other flight jackets) has been debunked many years ago, and it should be made a sticky on every forum that remotely deals with the subject.

Marv

This is the fit on my GW Dubow 20960 size 46 (fits more like a 44), probably wouldn't go any slimmer fitting than this on an A2.

Bombing IP

To me that jacket does not look comfortable ,the arms are fine shoulders are OK but the body is to tight across the upper chest .
BIP

CBI

Just IMO, jackets, no matter the era are outerwear. Anytime a jacket clearly and in detail outlines someone's body shape, where the body shape is clearly visible, the jacket is too small. Skinny, portly, anywhere in the middle, too small. Yep, one can certainly go too far the other way and wear a huge mall jacket. That perfect mid point is tricky!

seres

Of all the original WW2 contract patterns I own or have tried, the Dubows seem to be the smallest for the tag size. I wear a size 44 suit, but generally wear a size 46 in most original WW2 patterns. But every Dubow I've tried required a size 48 tag size to look right.

Smithy

That is a lovely GW Dubow but I couldn't go that trim either.

Still it doesn't really matter what a bunch of random guys on the internet think, if it's comfortable, you have a good range of movement and you like it, wear and enjoy I say!

Bombing IP

That is a lovely GW Dubow but I couldn't go that trim either.

Still it doesn't really matter what a bunch of random guys on the internet think, if it's comfortable, you have a good range of movement and you like it, wear and enjoy I say!

Smithy you are such a diplomat .Or such a piss taker I cannot make up my mind which it is . \
BIP